Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing a trany cooler how big, what temp

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, May 19, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

so im getting a trany cooler, do i just buy the biggest one i can find? i looked yesterday and i saw one about about as big as a sheet of paper and one a little bigger. i will check some other stores though. do i plug it in before or after the radiator? wich hose on the radiator is in and out, the upper or lower? reading my other post someone said that 180 is optimum and if i get too low ill build oondensation. should i run it before the radiator so the fluid heats up to 180 if it is cooled to much and is cooled to 180 if it is not cooled enough? thanks are there any tricks to do this without getting the fluid all over the place?

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I ran the biggest one I could find. It's a B&M stacked plate design so it's heavier duty to with stand flying debris.
    I think mine is like a 28,000 GVW cooler.
    I ran mine after the radiator because it will cool lower than the radiator is capable.
    I can't recall exactlly which line went where either. I'll have to go out and take a look here later.
    I also replaced all my lines at the same time too so I didn't have to worry about much seepage except at the radiator.
    The trick I used is to add a short section of line to the new fittings and block that line before you install it so that there is only minimal mess. Once all the lines were run then I pulled off the piece that I used to plug and stuck on the permanent line.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Factory lines are setup so that hot fluid goes in at the bottom and out at the top. Remove the top fitting and insert your new cooler inline there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh yeah, I'm also running the monster B&M Supercooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i'm running the biggest one i could fins as well. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

As far as i'm concerned, it can never be too cool in Arizona weather.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This, I believe is the one the others have spoken about. It is also what I have.

B&M Tranny Cooler

[​IMG]

John

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yup, thats the one!
    Mounted up nicely on the other side of my radiator since I have an oil cooler too.
    I dropped my 3lb hand sledge on it from under the hood when I was working and it didn't do a thing to it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, does it matter what position you mount it in? As far as the fittings are concerned. Thanks

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It comes with pretty decent directions that explain all of the various mounting positions, plumbing options, etc. They also explain the efficiency loss for each of the "non-preferred" methods. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I would only mount it on it's side so that air doesn't get trapped inside.

I'm not sure how big a problem that could be but I don't want to find out either.

Mine is on the passenger side with the fittings pointed towards the lights and lines run through the holes in the radiator support.
    I had to add some rubber bushings to the rad support to keep the lines from rubbing through.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im thinking about mounting mine inside the cabin with a fan attatched to it to draw cool air across the fins. this way, it doesnt get caked with mud. but thats a lot of transmission line to run.

its a 4dr yukon, i would make a bracket that would mount it on the inside of the rear side window.

11. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

ok so i put in the biggest cooler i could find at pep boys. it was one for fifth wheels and campers tha are pulling stuff. my temp offroading dropped to 140 peak and when on the street it was 130.

12. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

i am using the stock AC condenser
    and it stays cool

Andrew

13. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i am using the stock AC condenser
    and it stays cool

Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, hasn't got over 150 degrees yet. Most of the time closer to 120-130 degrees. BTW, I'm undergeared bad and have a 700R. If anything would run the tranny temps up it would be my combo {for now},,, 4.10s, 39.5s and a non lock-up 700R.