Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing aftermarket gauges on a 87 chevy 1\2 ton? 350TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87sm465np208, Aug 10, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

installing aftermarket gauges on a 87 chevy 1\\2 ton? 350TBI

i just picked up some sunpro gauges froma friend for free, never used, water temp, volt meter, and a oil pressure gauge, and all the hardware to hook it all up, now my question is where is ther a plug to tap into the block for a water temp gauge sender, the oil pressure gauge tube?, i know how to hook up the volt meter, any help will be Greatly appreciated, by the way all these gauges are mechanical. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Re: installing aftermarket gauges on a 87 chevy 1\\2 ton? 350TBI

I forget which water temp sending unit goes to the gauge and which one goes to the computer but there is one on the driver side head between #1 and #3 spark plugs and one right next to the water neck. Now the oil pressure sending unit is on the driver side of the block right above the oil filter housing.

Now what I don't understand is how you are supposed to use mechanical gauges because I think the only mechanical gauge in 87's was the speedo, everything else being elctric. Unless you also have mechanical sending units with both gauges. Oh and there is a corresponding plug on the passenger side cylinder head between #6 and #8 spark plugs if you still need a place to tap into the block for a water temp sending unit. Hope this helps.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I put my water temp guage on my 87K5 in the hole right between and underneath the number 1 and 3 cylinders on the side of the block. The oil psi guage goes towards the back of the eninge on the drivers side. It screws in ontop of the block. Make sure on both to use the adapters. I put my water temp guage in without the adapter because it fit perfectly in the hole, but it leaked like hell when I turned the truck on. It is also a good idea to put some teflon tape around the threads. Oh, and one more thing, be very careful with the oil psi hose. After you tighten it into the sender unit thing, it can be very easily pinched, and wont work right. Make sure it isnt pinched at all costs. If it is pinched, it is a bi@@ch to find more of the tiny little ferule nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The installation is pretty easy ther than that. Have fun!
    -Harrison

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thanks ya'll, yea im aware of pinching the oil hose, my most concern is putting the temp gauge on, just because i have workin a\c, and a new radiator and off-road with the A\C on while driving slow in the mud sometimes, unless its really nice out. but im probly gunna takle this either tues or wendsday, thats when my dad will be able to help me, and yes i bought the T connector for the oil pressure gauge so i can use the dummy light and pressure gauge too, hopefully when i put it on i wont cry when i see my oil pressure readings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif