Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing AutoMeters, How to keep the check engine light?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 10, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to finish my install of new AutoMeter Ultra-Lights this week...Now, all the facotry gauges are on the circut board...All the auto meters are going to be wired individually...But how can I keep the check engine light and the seatbelt light? Thanks a bunch...

Chris

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Should just be a switched positive coming from the sensors to the printed circuit board via the wiring harness, and the common negative in the circuit board. Just find the right wire in the harness (I traced back from the lights and gauges to the harness to be sure that I got the right wire), then hook up any 12v light + to the wire from the sensor and - to ground.</font color>

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

You can use two common type indicator lights and wire them in place of the dash panel lights. I think the "check engine" light is fed power from the printed circuit board when the ignition is on, the ground side goes to the ecm, it uses the ground to switch it on and off.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Any ignition power source will work. The ground side of the SES goes to the ECM. The SES on my 71 is an LED in the dash that I wired into the dash light circuit.