Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Cam Bearings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kennyw, Feb 13, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am taking the cam bearings out of a small block chevy with a tool that works somewhat like a slide hammer. Should I just start at one end and keep knocking them out one on top of the other?

I have a good short block that is still assembled and I would prefer not to pull it apart if possible.

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yes, just knock the cam bearings out, start from the front and work your way back. Your also going to pop out the plug in the rear. Now installing is important. You have to have your oil holes lined up correctly, not to mention the cam bearings in the right order. Looking at it from the front, the oil holes should be at about the 4 o-clock postion.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Definitely pay someone to do this. I've done this project, but only once, and I'd never do it again. Too much margin for error here.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I concur. Have the shop that does your machining install them . Then you could just go home with the specs and all the correct sized parts and have a blast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I only paid $25 to get mine done.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, just knock the cam bearings out, start from the front and work your way back. Your also going to pop out the plug in the rear. Now installing is important. You have to have your oil holes lined up correctly, not to mention the cam bearings in the right order. Looking at it from the front, the oil holes should be at about the 4 o-clock postion.

[/ QUOTE ]
    position is VERY important. They are numbered.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My friend finally found the instructions for the tool. The way the sizes are stepped you cant pull the larger outer bearings thru the smaller inner bearing holes! No reason to pay someone to do this when I have the tools and time. Once I had the instructions it was easy to tell how it was supposed to work.

New bearings are now installed and all the oil holes are lined up and I didnt even need to pull the pistons, conn rods or crank. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm not doing any machine work on this motor just putting in a new cam, cam bearings, lifters and gaskets to freshen it up a bit.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Good stuff, cam bearings arent hard to do. just make sure you measue the clearance between the cam bearing and cam, i have had to ream some bearings out to give proper clearance. to tight and the cam will seize up.