Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Detroit in D60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Jul 19, 2002
    Who's pulled the carrier out of there Dana 60 and
    put the same shims(thickness) (new one's though), new bearings and then bolted everything back up.
    I was going to pull the carrier out and give it to a local
    machine shop to duplicate what is on the factory carrier to the new carrier.
    I would say it would be ok since I don't use 4wd unless I am off-road.

What do y'all say?

Mike B
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Dec 15, 2000
    <font color="green"> I'd say that that would be ahalfass way of doing it, and would also be more difficult that doing it the correct way in the first place. When cahnging carriers all you need to check is the backlash anyways, it's not like it's that difficult. On a Dana it is a bit harder because you have to pull the bearings to change shims, but you can make setup bearings from your old ones by grinding the inside of them a bit to make them a slip fit on the carrier. Get a depth indicator and set the backlash, then press on the new bearings with the shims that you ended up with. It's really not that hard and you could probably buy the tools for less than what the machine shop would charge you to duplicate the current setup. </font>