Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Detroit/welding gears in a 14 bolt, please help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 9, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am planning to weld my spider gears. I am going to follow the directions on http://www.off-road.com/chevy for instaling a detroit exactly. Except I am going to have the spider gears welded instead of installing detroit. Is there anything else I need to do or just follow the directions on that site exactly?
    I was talking to another CK5 member and he said I needed to check the gear pattern before I take everything out and check it again after I put everything back in. Is this true or is it not really that necessary? Thanks!

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you are carefull about marking the preload bolts on the carrier beraing, you will be fine...You are basically pulling the ring out and then installing it EXACTLY how it was before you messed with it...I am going to be getting a detroit and I will be using that same article...

Chris

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I scribe marked my adjuster rings and re-installed them exactly as they were...pinion depth hasn't changed and the adjusters are exactly where they were, why check the gears?

Rene