Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing dual side tanks in a 83 blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skark_burmer, Jan 11, 2006.

1. skark_burmer

skark_burmer 1/2 ton status

I have a 83 Blazer with a 6.2 diesel in it and i want to add steel dual side tanks to it, not the plastic tanks. I see a bunch of threads about dropping the side tanks in favor of a rear mounted tank but not the other way around.

My question is will the 20 gallon tanks fit the short wheelbase (exhaust not whitstanding) or am i stuck with the 16 gallon tanks? And if the 20 gallon tanks will fit which models can i steal the tanks from? I see some 20 gallon tanks for sale on e-bay but what model truck should i buy them for?
    (Most trucks listed for the 20 gal tanks use different part numbers so there must be some difference in the tank from model to model and year to year.)

Thanks guys.

2. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 20 gal tanks from my 1980 fullsize P/U. Im in Fresno. They are free, come get them.

3. skark_burmer

PM on the way!

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 20 gallon tanks won't fit on a short bed truck, only a long bed, the tank hits the rear spring hanger.

i don't think they are going to fit too well, the trucks floor under the seat is conformed upword about 6" to allow the tank to tuck up under the body. on a blazer its flat to almost the rear spring hanger. you could try it with the free tanks, but they will probably hang way down.

5. skark_burmer

Im going to give it a shot and see how much work they will need. Besides, at the price i cant go wrong.
    After i pick them up this weekend i will post pics and what i find.