Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing gears in a 14FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Jul 15, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok, it's time to go to 5.13's, I need to know if installing the ring and pinion will be much harder then installing a detroit?

About 2-3 months ago I installed a detroit and it was a piece of cake. Only took around an hour or so. How much harder is installing gears on the same axle? Any special tools required? I can get it done locally for $125 an axle but I would like to at least attempt the 14 bolt to save some $$$ if I think I can do it.

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

if you've never put gears in I would suggest watching and helping someone who has before attempting it for the first time. You need a dial indicator for sure. Installing the locker is different cause your shims are all still in place and your depth and backlash is allready set, you didn't need to mess with any of that when you put the locker in. When you install new gears you are starting from scratch, Need to get your pinion depth correct with that damn crush sleeve, and get your ring gear shimmed on either side, its a tedious process but worth learning to do. Like I said, if it is the first time, get somebody to help that has done it before and you shouldn't have a problem.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Installing gears in a 14FF is way, way more involved than just installing a Detroit.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thats what I needed to know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

something like gears is best left to people who know what they are doing....I'd rather pay somebody to do it right, then to have to do it twice /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well I did mine with no experience, and it wasn't "hard" just time consuming. The crush sleve was the hardest part, but after that it's just trial and error till ya get it right /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif You will need a press, and a bearing puller, a dial indicator with magnetic base, and a lot of patience. I thought it was a cool learning experience, but I wasn't using new parts either so if I messed up it wasn't a huge deal. With new 5.13's and $125 an axle I'd have it done /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you enjoy working on your truck, do it yourself. Its not hard. I did it and it was fine. Spend the money on new tools that will stay in your garage instead of throwong $125 bucks(i'm sure it will be more, just got that feeling).

As post above said, dial indicator, press and inch torque wrench. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I do it every day, VERY easy!!! You need a press for the crush sleeve, dial indicator, maybe an assortment of shims, makes it easier with the adjuster tool!