Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing gears in my 12 bolt ..... needing help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alaskanbowtie, Mar 18, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

ok, putting 4.56 in a 12 bolt, bought the thick gears and wanting to put the pin back through the center, with a lock-right, do I grind the pin or a few teeth on the ring gear, I have read about this in the past but couldn't find it after searching for an hour, also having a hell of a time getting the bearing on the pinion, is there any way to do this with out a press? possibly heating it? THX all info GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

12 bolt pinion bearings are pressed into case nose

is it normal to have to grind clearance for lock shaft lock bolt when instlaling thick gears ??

hmm.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    is it normal to have to grind clearance for lock shaft lock bolt when instlaling thick gears ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I had to do this on my 7.5" Ford axle when I installed my lock right, and it only has 3.73s!!!!!

Ford does not use carrier breaks, so the 3.73s are quite thick for such a tiny axle. I had to hit four or five teeth with the grinder, but I actually called Randy's Ring and Pinion AND Richmond Gear beforehand, both said it was fine, just don't grind into where the pinion rides on the ring gear and be sure you smooth any sharp edges so it doesn't eat into the pinion.

20,000 miles later, NO PROBLEMS, other than the locker driving the rear wheel anti lock brakes nuts, and my dad almost losing control on an off ramp when he borrowed my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. alaskanbowtie

with no shims behind carrier bearing and no shims behind pinion bearing the ring and pinion bind up I cant even get the cap bolted on the gear side so I'm wondering if the carrier is actually the large one and I should have a "normal" thickness ring gear?? INSTEAD of the thick ring gear? this is geting really frustrating. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Thats what it sounds like to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There are carrier breaks for different gear sizes. One for 2.73's, 3.07 to 3.42, and one for lower gears. Doing my homework before I can even afford the gears. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

First off do not heat the bearing to get it on.
    What ratio did you take out of the housing on that carrier?

8. alaskanbowtie

how do I telll which carrier I have? what are the numbers for the large carrier and the small one? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

What ratio was on the carrier when you pulled it?

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That I am unsure of right now, part numbers and casting numbers, info is at home somewhere. If I had my cover off I would measure from one side to the edge where ring gear mounts. What gears did you have before when it was bone stock? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. alaskanbowtie

well, the original gears have been changed by previous owner from 3.08 to 3.73's, but the owner and the receipt from the shop say nothing of changing or using a new carrier, So I assumed it was a 3 series and ordered the "thick gear" but apparently the carrier is the 4 series and so I have pulled 2 others from parts trucks this morning, and had to drill out the broken pin bolts on "both" to find that they are both also 4 series... what A pain in the ASS!!!! But I finally found a guy here in town with a 3 series carrier. So I will now try this..... man I hope the front goes smoother. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The 12 bolt truck carrier break is 3.73 and higher (numerically) So unless the 3.73s that were in there were the thick then the correct carrier is in the housing for regular 4.10s, 4.56s /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif