Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing gears:please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Jan 8, 2006.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

well i blew out my 4.10s last week, and i decided 4.56s would suit me better anyways. we are installing them right now, and i just wanted to know what you guys ended up using to shim it.
    1979 k5 - 12 bolt rear - had 4.10s and now is going to use 4.56s.

i was told 30 thousanths of an inch would be good but its not lining up right.. i dont have a press here, so we had to run to a shop yesterday and have them press the pinion bearing on, and .0030" was too much. so i ask, what did you guys end up shimming yours with? thanks in advance

2. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

in my front dana 44 i just used the same thickness of shims that were on the old 4.10's and i got lucky it came out to 11 thousandths backlash but i just left it and its doing fine. just my experience with em.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Its different for every rear end. It sounds like you don't really know how to set up gears, so I would recommend looking up how to do it right (there is a writeup in the tech section of pirate4x4.com) or getting someone to help you that knows how to do it. Also, the backlash is not what determines if a gearset is setup right. You need to run a pattern as well to determine if the pinion depth is right.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status