Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing HEI...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I recently converted my K5 over to TBI. In the process I had some problems and swapped my distributor out a few times. I am using a modified HEI for computer controlled timing. I found TDC on the #1 spark plug and tried to align the rotor to the #1 spark plug on the cap but couldn't get it to run right. I have no marks to align the body of the distributor to and nothing else to go by. How do I align the body of the distributor to line up right with the rotor and cap at TDC and #1 spark plug?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This does work.

#1 cylinder TDC.

Install distributor. Try to install it so the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder. Hard to judge IMO where that is, but you get the idea.

Install the cap, and put #1 plug wire on the terminal that corresponds with where the rotor is.

Hook up a timing light. Turn ignition to run, but don't start. Turn distributor CW/CCW until the light fires. That's where it needs to be, and it will start there.

Don't forget to unplug the timing connector in the wiring harness for setting timing.

As an aside, the engine really doesn't care where the #1 plug wire is on the distributor. The firing order won't change, but the location of the wires on the cap will, which can make it difficult to figure out or remember later on.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As an aside, the engine really doesn't care where the #1 plug wire is on the distributor. The firing order won't change, but the location of the wires on the cap will, which can make it difficult to figure out or remember later on.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup! All you have to do is mark the cap where the new #1 position is. Then it's noooooo problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

It's preferable for the #1 plug wire to be at the 7 o'clock position if 12 o'clock is pointing directly to the firewall. The first thing to do is take out the #1 plug and put your thumb over the hole. Have someone tap the motor until you feel the compression coming out of the hole, then you can use the timing mark to determine TDC on the compression stroke. Once you've done that you can put the distributor in the correct spot. Here's a little trick to get it pointing in the right direction. Put the distributor in, if it doesn't seat all the way down then pull it out until the gear disengages from the cam gear (couple inches) and move the rotor to the next position forward moving clockwise. Keep doing this until it seats all the way down. Once you find this position you need to get it around to the 7 o'clock spot so you have to lift the distributor and rotate it 180 degrees until it seats all the way down. Now continue to 'clock' the distributor 180 degrees back and forth and you'll notice the rotor slowly advancing. Once you get to 7 o'clock you're set, now set the cap on and put it just past 7 o'clock and it should start right up. Good luck!

5. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going home this weekend and we be able to work on the Blazer and hopefully I can get the distributor back right and get it running. I've got a few issues to deal with on my swap....it idled at 2300 rpm when I cranked it for the first time after the TBI swap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I guess I've got to track that little problem down.