Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Hella lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hobbs, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

I am installing aux. hella driving lights on a 88 burb.

I want them to work independent of the hight beams. I do not want to tie them to the existing light system. I have found an article that describes how to do that with this quote:

Now, if you want your Hellas to be able to be switched on separately from the vehicle lights, tie the "green" wire lead from the switch (which the Hella wiring diagram shows connected to the highbeams) into a wire that is hot all the time (try to use a wire that is fused), or use one of the empty "hot" slots in the fuse box under the dash.

My question is; Can someone be more specific about a "hot" all the time tie in. Where should I connect the green wire?

Thanks,

Hobbs

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if you have room just use one o f the spots that are empty at the top of your fuse panel. need a female spade connector if im not mistaken.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Remove the key from the truck. Take a test light, clip on to a ground, test the empty slots on the fuse panel. You should find one that is hot (Like wraenking said, probably at the top) and that should be a constant hot. (or always connected to the battery regardless of the key position unlike say, your radio which is switched on/off by the key).

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a look at the schematic at the bottom of my writeup here:
    http://coloradok5.com/wiringlights.shtml

You can take the main power feed from the battery, just be sure that you use a fuse in that line. Then inside the cab, get power for the switch from the parking light circuit. This will let you turn the lights on independently, but the parking lights will also have to be on for the Hellas to work. This prevents accidentally leaving the lights on, as their power will still be going through the headlight reminder buzzer. :cool1:

This assumes that you're using a relay in the circuit, since the Hella kits that I've seen come with one in the included harness. :)

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Thanks everyone!

Hobbs

7. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

How about this...
    I have a red and black power source in the cab that was used on a CB that I removed. Can I use the red as my "constant" power source. Connecting the green from my hella kit to the red from the CB?

Hobbs

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That will work, as long as you're just powering a relay from there. The lights draw too much current to be fed from that line.

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

I am installing hella lights using their wiring package. I am modifying it a little by adding a 3 way switch. Auto (hella’s come on with high beams), Manual ( only hellas come on), Off. To the switch I am running a tap from the high beams (Auto), one from a constant hot (Manual), and one from the relay (Off).

My question… With the Hella instructions there is an option with a yellow wire that runs from each of the connectors into the lights. The option is to attach to the parking lights or to cut it off. I can’t figure out what this option would do with my set up.

Thanks for the guidance.

Hobbs