Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing high amp altenator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Jan 13, 2004.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I plan on doing my altenator upgrade this weekend and was wondering where the red wire that I believe charges the battery hooks too. My factory one hooks to the starter then the + cable from the battery hooks to the stater. Is this right? I have never done an upgrade like this all help would be appreciated....Jason

2. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I just installed a PowerMaster 160 amp alt in my truck. It was sold as a "1 wire hook up", however under a black rubber cap was the OEM plug. So it hooked up just like the original alt. Hope that helps.

3. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

good deal just going to put it back like stock or what I believe is stock only thing is I am changing the wire size of the charging wire ( big red wire). I am going to use 4guage copper with soldered ends and heat shrink....Jason

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Big red wire should go to the starter solenoid, which is wired straight to the battery. I don't have schematics, but I believe that's where it goes.

I'm planning on seriously upgrading that wire to a number 4 or larger when I go to a high amp alternator.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so we can use higher alternators even if our trucks didnt come with one?

i put a 1991 caprice police motor in my truck and scrapped the 140A alternator.... just junked it cuz i thought it would fry something!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That was stupid, I would have given you good money for it. What a shame.

I plan on running a 140 A unit when I go serpentine.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is a 140A for regular drive belts, off of a pontiac transport. I think you mentioned it to me on another post.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not for regular drive belts. It requires modification to the brackets if you have v belts, as well as a different pulley if you have V belts.

I'm going serpentine to make it work, and still may need to modify brackets.

Either way, application is 1996 Pontiac Transport, 3.8L, WITH REAR AIR.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Oh, that sucks for me now. I thought it was easier than that. What pulley do you need? Can you use the original one? What bracket mods are neccesary?
    thanx

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I *think* it will bolt into my serpentine brackets. I'll do a minor write up on it after I install it. I'm hoping I can bolt it in and run a super large wire straight to the battery and call it done. (EDIT: I'm aware the plugin is different and requires an adapter, no big deal) I can also tell you that the physical size of this alternator is quite a bit bigger than the little ones our trucks come with.

I'm surprised I'm the only one to talk about doing this. I know I'm far from the only person on a hardcore site like this with a winch. I haven't got to use it yet, but knowing electricity like I do, it won't take long to throughly and completely kill a battery with this thing.

That's not even mentioning my lights, electric fuel pump for the EFI, electric fans I'll probably run, and all the other worthless crap that I want to put together for my rig.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a winch and i know i need to upgrade. I was wiliing to modify a bracket and buy a wiring adapter, hell I can even make a bracket. I just wonder if I pull the stock pulley off of my alt will it press onto the pontiac one? Or is that a no go, try again. The pic on the link you had looked like the new on was a v drive style. 140 amp tech pic 140 amp write up

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any pulley will fit on any alternator, generally. It's the physical size of the unit and the bolt mounting that could potentially make this job a pain in the ass.

Like I said, I'm going to do it, and if I do it before you, I'll get back to you. I know that I'll defintely be able to use the increased output.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am gonna try this as soon as I have time (a week or two) The size doesn't worry me yet (I haven't seen it in person). I am waiting on the little wire adapter right now. If I get done soon enough i will give you all the info and hints I can. Thanx for the help on this. I usually stay out of the engine on rigs (driveline and fab are my thing)

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hey, I wish I could fabricate anything. I can hardly weld an exhaust system together without it leaking, much less something structural.

Either way, when you see it, take a look at it and let me know, I'd really like to know what to plan for when I go for this project.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't tried that swap, although I may have to eventually.

From the looks of those pictures, it appears that maybe the front "face" of the alternator is the same. You only have to worry about the upper bracket, and that lower "sleeve" which might need cut down. The upper looks the same though, just a threaded "ear".

I know you can "clock" the earlier alternators easy enough (unbolt the two halves, rotate one half to required orientation, retighten) but I'm not sure if that holds true on these either.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're available in every imagineable clock pattern anyway.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    application is 1996 Pontiac Transport, 3.8L, WITH REAR AIR.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can buy that in any clock pattern you want?

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Basically. Depends on how the part numbers read. At AZ, a Duralast alternator will be something like DL 1380-6-11.

The last two numbers are the clocking pattern (11 o clock). If there's a DL 1380-6-3, then obviously that's the same part, just different clocking.

All you've got to do is check the paper catalog or call the company if there's any question as to how to get a specific sized alternator, they're very helpful.

I once ordered a $50 one wire alternator for a guy for a street rod. Number wasn't listed in any catalog.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm surprised I'm the only one to talk about doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.............................

Pay more attention to posts in the tech sections and you will find out that you are a couple months late and a million dollars short.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What would you know about tech?

I got the link and idea from an online article that someone posted up a few months ago. I wasn't sure if anyone had done it yet or not.

So, will it fit in stock serpentine brackets or not?