Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing lift, straight axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mean77, Mar 5, 2002.

1. mean77

mean77 Registered Member

My truck has a 4" susp. lift right now but is very used and abused. I am going to install a new 6" lift. What kind of jack can I use to Jack up the frame to get the leaf springs off? What part of the frame should I jack up? Will my new springs line up ? Do I do one side at a time? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Since no one else has bothered to answer, I'll try to help a little. What I'm telling you is just from pictures I've seen and general mechanical ability,and reading. The kind of jack is not really important. Jack stands are VERY IMPORTANT! You'll need at least four of them and the bigger the better for two of them. Make absolutely sure you have all the parts you need before you start. You will probably need longer brake lines, the proper steering arm, new u bolts and nuts, longer shocks, and longer driveshafts. Once you have everything you need it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do. you'll need to support the frame and the axles(one axle at a time) with jack stands. I would then remove the wheels,brake lines, u bolts, in that order then lift the truck off the axle enough to install the new springs. Then remove the old springs and then do the reverse with the new springs. You may not have to disconnect the brake lines if yours are already long enough you could remove the calipers instead and tie them up so they don't hang by the lines. Don't forget to bleed the brakes before you test drive if you change the lines. I'm sure that someone will have more help, and I hope this will help get you started.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you may need to upgrade your steering setup, what do you have now to drop you steering to your axle? also, are you replaceing a 4" block with a 6" block in the rear? if so, you are going to need longer u-bolts( this may be included in your kit). brake lines up front are going to be too short, if your new lift kit doesnt come with them, you will need to make a relocating bracket. anyway, what i first was take all the hoses, breather lines, steering, E-brakes, and driveshafts off before jacking up the vehcial. it is less time you have to spend being careful not to rock the truck off the jackstands. then i jacked up the whole front of the truck using a long piece of 4" tubing under both frame rails behind the shackles of the front springs untill the front was high enough off the ground. remember that you will have to jack up up so the tires are at least 2 inchs off the ground for the larger lift. once the jack got the truck high enough, i set up jack stands on both framerails on the flat section behind the front shackes. the jack stands were between the shackes and the jack. then it was just a matter of disasembling. i would recomend taking the steering off at the draglink, that way you dont have to mess with any rubber boots, and it doesnt require a fork to get the joint apart. another thing that worked well, was when you are all done putting the new lift springs, remove the jackstands and lower the truck onto the axles. just lower it close enough to get the u-bolts started, it is a lot easier then balancing an axle on a floorjack. you may want to leave the tires on your axles, it is easier to roll them around the garage that way. also make sure you retighten your u bolts after you take it for the first drive.

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe some helpfull pic's on my page. Link below: