Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing manual hubs...what would you do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Oct 27, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

On installing my new manual hubs into my D60 frontend, we got the drivers side in ok. When it came to the passenger side however, the rotor hub is missing the groove for the large outer snap ring that holds all the hub internals in. Kinda weird huh? So I guess my two options are having that groove machined into the old rotor hub, or finding a new rotor hub with the proper groove....ahhhhh crap. what to do? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I used to run without it and just let the snap ring on the stubshaft retain the hub body. It allows a bit more movement, but as long as you got a good seal it should be all right (this was on a front 10 bolt, so a 60 may be different, but I am pretty sure its not).

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dremel tool!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I might do that...

Right now I'm running one unlocked hub and one drive flange...AKKKKKKKK>>>>> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Tyler-

Bryan's hub can't be held in that way. The center most part of the hub is not attached to the outer most part... therefore when the outer hub assy. (knob) gets screwed onto the outer ring on the hub internls... it has the ability to just fall out. SO... the large snap ring NEEDS to be in there.

Question remains... have a groove machined, or just get a new hub? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

make a groove in it with a dremel tool...doesnt have to be perfect as long as the ring fits into the groove and retains the hub..

7. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

dremel or go drive flange on both sides (unless its a DD).... those hubs are $ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I talked to someone in the know... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And he said that axles that originally came with drive flanges didn't have the groove ground into them for the outter snap ring since it wasn't needed. He also said that he can cut one in for ya if ya needed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where did the groove go?

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yep, already had drive flanges and they SUCK on the street with an NP205. Now that I have my new transfercase, I dont want to burn it up like the last one. Btw, I traded my drive flanges for SPICER hubs from a very good friend!

Brent...gotcha. I'll see if I can do it locally. If not, I'll be coming to see you again. When is the cuz gonna be back in business? I need to get my exhaust done as well...shoot me a pm!