Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Marine Style battery box.. pics inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, May 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm installing the 50 dollar battery relocation kit from summit. it says its for marine or auto use. The instuctions are uber bootleg, their printer must have messed up, and you can't see the illustrations at all. I drilled the holes exactly like the template showed, and it lines the j hooks up wider than the box, so I'm assuming the j hooks are outside the box, and the h clamp is inside the box. The instuctions said if the battery is shorter than the box, cut the appropriate side piece of wood, so I guess I'm about to go look for some scraps and bust out my sawzall. I just don't get how the j hooks go outside the box, and the lid can still clap on?
    The kit also has some yellow nlyon strap to hold the box itself down.
    So can anybody tell me how this is all supposed to go together? The jhooks are kinda throwing me for a loop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas guys?
    thanks,
    James

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

the holes you drill i think should be in the bottom of the box. then the j hooks hook into the h piece, then through the holse you drilled and then throught the floor where you can place a washer and nut to them

hmm. i think im wrong. doesnt look like the j bolts stay insed the box. isnt there a flared piece on the cover on both sides so it doesnt hit th ej bolts?

3. 78Suburban

4. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

according to the instructions you did it right. Just need some ply wood underneath the battery to bring it snug to the H bracket.

5. 78Suburban

Well, the problem is that the lid isn't fitting over it, because the j bolts are outside the box. I dirlled the holes for the j bolts EXACTLY like the template showed

Called summit, got some dude that sounded like he was on the crack rock. But he told me to drill the holes INSIDE the box. So I guess the template was incorrect

I'm gonna go out and drill new holes through the box, and new holes narrower than the template said, so the j hooks will stay contained inside the box :mad:

6. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

it must be mandatory to have bad customer assistance these days

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Those boxes SUCK. I rolled my truck and the battery came crashing through the box:doah:

8. 78Suburban

yeah, from the looks of the quality, they pretty much suck.. at least I'm mounting it far enough back that the battery probably won't hit my head :laugh:

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i cant believe it was 50 bucks!

i thought that it had to be on the inside. what idiots. lol

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Hmm, checked out the PDF instructions, and from what I can tell, the hooks are outside the box. In the very last pic of the box on page 2, where they show the box with the lid strapped on, I *think* you can see te j-hook outside the box. Maybe you need to pound the lid on with a BFH!

11. 78Suburban

got er done

Well I got it all wired up.. I did end up keeping the rods outside the box. And I made a big wood spacer under the battery. The little plastic pieces that screw to the floor to run the yellow strap through are pretty pathetic.. One of them broke when I screwed it down, but the J hooks seem to be doign the majority of the securing. I ran the positive wire inside the burb, untill I got the the front passenger floor, at which time I just ran it through the soft ball sized rust hole :doah: Overall I'm happy with the battery box, and hopefully I won't be flipping anytime soon.. maybe it'll hold up ok. I wish I could take pics, but its darlk now.
    thanks,
    James

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What I used from Summit too.............
    [​IMG]

I need to check tomorrow if that is corrosion, not supposed to leak.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like the stuff from Blue Sea

[​IMG]

and these....

[​IMG]

Tracy also makes some nice stuff...

[​IMG]

I have certainly seen better in highend boats, but thats what the general population will find...

Quite a few things people would find interesting from the marine world.. Especially electrical.... can't tell you how much better a quality marine grade tinned battery cable is over welding cable.. I see the evidence daily... Doesn't quite bend as nice initially, but outlasts it by about 5 times...

Heck, my dash and console are a marine product....

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I'm thinking big freaking ammo can for my 110 lb glass matt batt...

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Best use I found for one of those battery boxes was to strap in down in the rear of my suburban and fill it fulla tools....makes a great CHEAP tool box! I got mine for like 7.00 at Wal-Mart, but it did NOT include any wireing, just the box and the strap to hold it down...