Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing my Stereo...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Well, folks... I don't want Circuit City touching my Explorer, they have a bad reputation of screwing things up in cars they work on... and I don't want to pay $75 at the other stereo shop in town... so I'm gonna attempt to install my stereo on my own... I have till 2 AM before I have to get some sleep... and I have a repair manual to guide me through the de-installation process... Hopefully I won't screw up badly because if I mess something up, I have an appointment with Circuit City at Noon tomorrow and they probably won't like having to fix my screw-ups...

I'll let y'all know how it goes by 2 AM... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what did you buy?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If this is going into your explorer, this may be helpful:

Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow
    Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
    Ground Black
    Illumination Blue/Red
    Dimmer n/a
    Amplifier Remote Blue
    Antenna Right Front
    Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
    Left Front (+) Orange/Green
    Left Front (-) Blue/White
    Right Front (+) White/Green
    Right Front (-) Green/Orange
    Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Doors
    Left Rear (+) Pink/Green
    Left Rear (-) Brown/Yellow
    Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
    Right Rear (-) Black/White

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Dont we have a stereo forum? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Joking..... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Wow willies, that'll help a lot I'm sure once my damn friend gets over here with my book so I can figger out how to take the stock radio out...

I got a Kenwood KDC119... It was on sale and since the stock radio is dead I needed something cheap for some tunes till I can get the $400 Sony unit at Car Toys... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yea but that's for Chevy dudes... and I generally stay in here anyway, other boards on this site are scary

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

alrighty my friend is really starting to piss me off... I gotta wait around here till midnight when he can get off AOL... God forbid he end a conversation with his online friends a little early so he can walk for ten minutes round trip to bring me the damn book...

Oh, and should I even get into the part about "Can you loan me a few bucks till next Friday when I get paid?" like he asks every frickin day...

AND he's one of those always gotta be right or something people... I said I didn't need the book for the wiring, that's the easy part, I just need to figger out how to get it out... and he replied with "I bet I can figure that out." Good for you, you can figure it out when you have an Explorer and want to change your stereo... AND THEN...... "After we're done I want to drive around for a while or I'll fall asleep, and I'll bring some of my Metallica CD's"... wait a sec... I'm tired and want to sleep... and Metallica doesn't work with Subwoofers from my experience... "Well I'll bring them anyway... I just need to drive around or I'll fall asleep and be tired at work tomorrow."

Sorry, just wanted to vent, my friend is really being a dipweed tonight, all I want is my book... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

METALLICA [​IMG]

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

LOL...

Scary? Whho's Scary... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Bubba Ray's in the garage alot too....

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hope you bought a wireing kit for it !!!! I hate it when people splice into the factory wireing, when a $10.00 wireing kit will just plug in !!!!! Takes all the guess work out of it. Also use the propper mounting kit, and it'll look like a factory install.

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey when you go to buy something else check out seller Scala1 on eBay... I have bought a lot of stuff from this dude and it's all been awesome stuff, way cheaper then I can get it here... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Okay, here's the story now...

My friend came over with the book and I looked at it... Saw I needed some hooky thingies to pull the stereo out once I get the ENTIRE DASH thingy off... So we went to every place that is open 24 hours, including the truck stop 20 minutes out of town... So we came back, I looked in the book and said I could just take off the dash bezel and have a head start for the morning when I could play with it some more... Nope, the entire thing comes off, from the left side to the right side... So I'm not gonna mess with it tonight, it's 2:30 and I have no tunage and I'm tired... I decided I'm not going to go to Circuit City, don't trust them at all...

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

However tonight I did check out three crew cabs... two chevies and an international... One Chevy was $3500, the other was $2500, both 2wd.. International didn't have a price on it but was advertised two months ago at $3000 and is 2wd and not automatic... Not that that's a bad thing, I just prefer automatic transmissions in trucks because the standards are just a pain...

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

15. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

DO NOT GET A SONY HEADUNIT!!!!! They are the worst headunits out there. I am on my second one. The first one lasted about a year and stopped playing CDs and the faceplate started messing up. Got it replaced with a different model Sony under warrnty, and it died after 4 months. The faceplate itself just quit working. Everyone I've talked to on car audio messege boards has always had problems with Sonys, and my friend had the same problems that I had with my first Sony on his; we had the same models. Sony's home audio/video stuff is good, but not their car audio.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting... I have a Sony head unit and changer that's several years old and has been through hell and back, but still works really well... I'm guessing they just don't make 'em like they used to, lol... I'm a huge Sony product fan, but I'll take this as a grain of salt while I'm shopping for an MP3 cd player...

17. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I really like the features of Sony headunits, and the looks of them. I think they are really easy to read, not a lot of extra graphics and stuff crammed into the display. I just havn't had good luck with reliability with their car audio products.

18. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I agree with the sony thing!!!! I went through several......they are good units but not made for all the bouncing around. Kenwood is my choice. I had a 6 disc changer inn my 72 K5 for about two years and I only had the thing skip once in all that time. dust and moisture(light moisture) didn't seem to hurt it either. Worked like a charm. My buddy still has it in his POS 71 F100 and it's still going strong 5 years later! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Ive had my sony CDI m650 for 2 years without a problem.. YET!

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ergh... it's been almost 24 hours and still no music... I got the special tool I needed, ripped out the stock radio, connected the wires as needed, hooked up the speakers, turned it on... NOTHING...

I've tried just about every configuration with the speaker wires and radio settings that I can think of and nothing is happening... ugh... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif