Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing new carpet.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 11, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Any tips on how to do this? I have taken out the passenger seat once before but never the driver seat. How hard is it to do? Also Id like to raise the seat if it is possible I heard of people doing this in here but not sure how to do it.

Should I use adhesive spray to hold down the carpet?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I just put new carpet down in mine. Its not too hard but it took me a while since I wanted to be sure that it looked right. Anyways the back portion of the carpet is easy, just cut holes for where the 2 seat bolts are. The front portion is obviously a bit harder. I thought the hardest part was cuttin the hole for the shifter. Take your time on that part cause you dont want to mess up. Heres a tip for the bolt holes: Put all the bolts in their holes and lay the carpet down over them. With your knife cut an X over the bolt and push the carpet over the bolt. Then you can cut a small circle around the bolt. Just make sure your speaker wires are out of the way if you have any, I nicked one of mine and had to replace it a few weeks later /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I dont see a need in putting adhesive down really. As far as raising the seats, Im not sure, I didnt do that. Ive got pics of the new carpet in my sig.

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Here is another tip for you-

Go get some carpet padding for homes and put it in. I put in a LMC carpet kit and did not like the way it looked and felt in the rear. The only factory padding I had went under the seat so I added more and it not only looks better but feels better on the knees. I think it cost me $10 for 5/8 inch carpet pad.

Good luck

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you can remove the seatbelts, you should so you can remove the old carpet that is under them. If the bolts are frozen, do not even try..you will strip them. I spent 4 days and $60(drill bits, bolt lube, fire, ice, dremmel,etc). Got the bastard out but #$%#@. Anyways, I used the homedepot water heater insullation as carpet padding and soundproofing. Easy to cut(scissors) and cheap!
    I agree about the carpet, no need to glue it, mayber just a little trim adhesive on the corners to hold down.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Your right about the seatbelt bolts. The fronts came out no problem but the rear was another story. I broke one T-50 torx before we started to use the torch. The torch worked but the truck stank for a few days.

6. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Well the front bolts came out ok the back seatbelt bolts wouldnt budge so I left them as is and cut the carpet to fit.