Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing new gears and lockers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jan 31, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I plan on putting 4.88 gears in my axles when I get Boggers. Also, I'm going to put a Detroit locker in the 14 bolt and a Truetrac in the 10 bolt. I was just curious how hard and what all has to be done to install the stuff.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you don't have any experience installing gears, I would recommend having it done professionally. It's not that hard to unbolt the old stuff and bolt in the new stuff, but if you don't adjust the ring and pinion correctly you will have increased wear, excessive noise, and possibly failure of the expensive gears. For the lockers/posi it's the same since the ring and pinion will have to be reset. If you are having the gears installed by a professional it really shouldn't cost any more to have them install the lockers at the same time since there is very little extra work involved.
    I'm not saying you aren't capable of doing this, but if it's not done right the first time a lot of expensive parts can be ruined.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya what he said.....

I too am still in this boat! I have called around to the local shops and one shop quoted me 500 bones to swap both R&P sets and toss in a power-lock in the front!
    500 bones is just labor I provide ALL the parts, master install kits are an easy way to get ALL the bearings, seals and shims needed to do the job.
    If you go slow and install take out install measure take out install measure take out install mesure.........well you get the idea!! I want to doit but just may not beable to find the time! Plus the right tools like a bearing press and a clean work inviroment...stuff like that are the cons!!
    The pros, well it will be done right the first time and well it will be done that in it self is a Pro!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just had tanner4wheel.com install the 4:88's in my 14 bolt and I took pictures of the install steps to show why you don't want to do it your self. [​IMG] I would like to get this article done by this weekend.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

$500 seems awful high just for labor, at least for around here. I've had too different shops install gears in my Blazer (because of living in different towns) and both were under $150 per axle for the labor. While I enjoy doing almost everything else on my truck, I don't mess with setting up with ring and pinions.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

$500 seems awful high just for labor, at least for around here. I've had too different shops install gears in my Blazer (because of living in different towns) and both were under $150 per axle for the labor and included installing limited slips and all new bearings. While I enjoy doing almost everything else on my truck, I don't mess with setting up with ring and pinions.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Please Steve...since I found out I got 3.08s I am wanting to do change gears bad...

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!