Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing np 203 case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigugly, Jun 6, 2002.

1. bigugly

bigugly Newbie

What is the easiest way for a home garage mech to steady a 203 to reinstall it back on the back of a THM350? The BIG UGLY is a `73 K5. I had to take the trans out and rebuilt it but, can't get the 203 back up on the jack. I have 2 4 ton floor jacks but it keeps falling off. Any help is appreciated.

Jim

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might have to rent a tranny jack to do it. I had a 208 land on me once. I bet a 203 would have been death. I just ended up renting a tranny jack.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You mean you cant just bench press the thing back in place /forums/images/icons/smile.gif? HA! I have done this 2 times. the 1st time we took the inspection cover off the trans tunnel then ran a chain through the hole and hoisted it up. This sucked and I hated it.
    Total rig job. Had to put a bar through the windows supported on each end with 4X4 pieces of lumber then the hand winch in the middle. The 2nd time we had an actual 4 ton tranny jack, real quality piece of equipment and it went up with no problems in no time. You may want to look into renting one for the day. It made our job real easy!

Brent

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

You don't want to hear this but you should just go rent a tranny jack. Otherwise I have actually had the best luck by raising the truck up real high placing the entire unit on a floor jack. Tranny and Transfercase. Then sliding it under and then loweing the truck as much as possible while still leaving enouch room to move around and then just bolting the tranny to the motor. I would recomend the tranny jack. Or welding a piece of flat flat to a floor jack to make one works too. It just seams easier to bolt the tranny to the motor then it does to bolt the transfercase to the tranny when under the truck for me.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

fab a adapter that bolts to the TC and creates a level bottom to jack on.
    on my 205 I used the pto/inspection port and 2 pieces of plate,
    if i still had my cheap floor jack I would weld a piece of round stock to make the 'adapter' replace the cup? of the floor jack.

the Snap on floor jack has the cup thing pinned on so it is more a PIA

did any of that translate or just pure ramble?

6. bigugly

bigugly Newbie

I thank you guys for the comments, after reading them, I decided renting a $100.00 per day trans jack, (I guess I checked the wrong rental store), I found some cheap scrap angle iron and had my friend weld them together. It still sucked but, The BigUgly is back on the road. My membership is coming on the 15th. Thanks everybody,

Jim in the The BigUgly.