Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing oil pickup tube on oil pump (question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought a new Milodon 18300 pickup and matching 18760 pump for a BBC buildup.

I tried to "push" the pickup tube into the pump.....that didn't work
    I tried to use a rubber mallet to persuade the pickup to go into the pump....that didn't work
    I cleaned up both surfaces with a high grit sandpaper (and cleaned) and tried it again (both ways) with no luck.

Do they have to be pressed in by machine......??? or is it just my luck again.

2. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

There is a tool for this. However, you can use an open end wrench that fits tight on the lip and tap it in. Be careful though. The pick up should also be tacked on unlet there is a tab that bolts to the pump body from the pick-up.
    Hope this helps.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

tool

Take a piece of pipe that slips over the tube but not the shoulder of the pick up tube,,Cut and notch or mill a slot out of the side of the pipe big enough to just slip over the tube and drive "er home,,,tack it for sure,,

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you try to put the pickup tube in the freezer?? It will shrink just enough to lightly tap in with a wrench and hammer.

6. Leadfoot

I will try that too.

As far as tack welding the pickup to the pump, the Milodon pickup has a bracket on it to bolt to one of the oil pump bolts, so there is no need to tack it.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You could always put the pump in the oven while the pickup is in the freezer too. :) Did my timing gear that way, boy did it go on easy.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how I did mine..

I put my new oil pump on top of my wood stove while it was lit last winter for about 5 minites until it started smoking--as I was waiting I put the pickup sreen/tube assembly outside on a patch of ice!..using my welding gloves I picked up the pump and clamped it gently in the vise,and I put some locktite on the pickup tube where it goes into the pump--a few taps on an open end wrench and it slid right in !!...

I didn't weld or braze it on though,and there was no tab to bolt it to the pump cover bolts..I hope it stays in!--never saw a stock GM one fall off by itself..I dont like the idea of welding or brazing on a precision machined part like an oil pump myself--but a lot of guys do it,and it doesn't seem to hurt the pump. :dunno: :crazy:

9. Leadfoot

I'm doing a new timing chain and gears too. The "old" (not too many hours) looked good and tight, but I figured since I had it torn apart, it's cheap insurance.

Last night I took the gear off the cam and the chain off, but the sprocket on the crank is TIGHT. I'm assuming that is the gear you heated to put it on..?? I'm thinking I may have to heat it gently with a tiny butane torch to eaze removal......and put the new one in the oven before installation.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, crank sprocket. Tried tapping it on at ambient temp, wasn't happening and I wasn't going to start beating on everything, so put it in the oven and let it get nice and hot, then ran out to the garage holding it with oven mitts. :)

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

crack it...

I've gotten the crank gear off without a puller using a trick an old timer showed me--use a sharp chisel right above the keyway(its the thinnest spot) and smack it sharply with a hammer--the gear is usually cast,and it cracks pretty easy!--once its cracked you can slide it right off using 2 screwdrivers... :crazy: --a puller is the right way though.. :rolleyes:

12. Leadfoot

Yeah, I was hoping to save the gear as it is almost brand new. It would be good for someone trying to freshen up a BBC on a budget. Normally I would not replace something in this good of condition, but since it's on the stand and I will be truck pulling with it, I thought it would be cheap insurance.

Dorian, I already have the oven mitts on the counter ready to go :D