Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Reses hitch on 91 4x4 1\2 ton Suberban?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87sm465np208, Jun 21, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Installing Reses hitch on 91 4x4 1\\2 ton Suberban?

how do you get those bolts to stay put and accutally get them tight so you can tighten the nuts down? im really confused on this, please help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Re: Installing Reses hitch on 91 4x4 1\\2 ton Suberban?

My 91 sub has a 'weld-on' bumper hitch, so not 100% familiar with what you're trying to do, but from ones i've seen in the past (as well as recently putting a class II on mamma's van.......)... I use NEW hardware & sneak up on it!
    Well, sorta sneak up on it. If you can use new nuts/bolts/etc, I've had good luck with using an air wrench to zip 'em down. The rapid/hi-speed torque (what i call the sneaking up part) from the air has usually worked for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Another thing i've done when messing with those bolts is to try and angle 'em so there's resistance against the side of the bolt from the bolt hole.
    Guess as a last resort, you could weld it in place....

3. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't know if the burb and blazer are the same but when I recently did mine on my 82 blazer the two front bolts came with a little piece of metal plate with a sqaure cut into it the bolts were carraige style bolts also that is how my set up the hard part was fishing them into the frame since the damn fuel tank is in the way....Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Some hitches come with nuts that have a piece of stiff wire welded to them. This lets you slip them into place up in the frame rail, when access is tight. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, I prefer to install the hitch with the bolts pointing up into the frame. It protects the threads from rock rash and such. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry (as always ??) brings up a good point about direction.
    Depending on your access to the backside.... (or if your nuts are wired?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ), up is mo-betta!!!
    I think i've been a street lizard too long here in Wisconsin and need to get back to some real Wheelin' in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if the burb and blazer are the same but when I recently did mine on my 82 blazer the two front bolts came with a little piece of metal plate with a sqaure cut into it the bolts were carraige style bolts also that is how my set up the hard part was fishing them into the frame since the damn fuel tank is in the way....Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I just droped the tank /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It was just 5 min and made the rest of the work too easy ended up taking much less time.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    And I do have a skid plate under the tank, still wasn't too bad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, yea the 31 gallon gas tank is in the way hardcore, but i will try differnt ways to get around the gas tank to get the bolts in and get a wrench and hold them down, my hitch on my 87' shortbed was a sinch, the only hard part was holding the thing up there myself. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif