Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing roller rockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, May 24, 2002.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

Bought a set of Comp Cams Pro-Magnum 1.6 roller rockers to put into the ZZ4. This is probably a dumb question for you engine guys but how do I go about lubing up the things? Should a put assembly lube on everything? Or regular oil? How much lube? The rockers came with nothing, not even instructions. I think the Haynes manual tells pretty good as to install, basically, but it does not address lube for new rockers. thanks for any help any one has.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You don't need any special voodoo to oil them. If you have some assembly lube or cam lube, then go hog wild and coat them including the roller on the end.
    If not, them just use engine oil.
    It's not a big deal.
    -- Mike

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

They'll lube right up when you start your engine.

4. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I would never install with no oil.All I use is a shot of motor oil to the moving parts adjust the lash and go for it!!! mike m. las vegas nevada

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If it is going to be a bit before you are ready to fire the engine, then I would use cam lube generously. Be sure to lube the end of the pushrod, the rollers on both ends and the top of the valve. If you plan to fire the engine soon, you can use motor oil.

The reason behind this logic is that motor oil will drain from the parts. Cam lube is much thicker/heavier and will stay on the parts longer ensuring better protection at startup.

If you use cam lube, be sure to change your oil and filter within the first 500 miles.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd give Comp Cams a call and ask them if something is missing in your set. I put a set of their roller-tip rockers in an engine a few years ago. The set came with some lube and instructions. Perhaps yours was supposed to come with that stuff also.

It's probably OK to just douse 'em good in engine oil before installation, but I'd want to know for sure just so I'd know I wasn't gonna screw something up on a $3,500 engine. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You should also check to be certain that the ZZ4 has enough piston-to-valve clearance for 1.6 ratio rockers and that the valve springs won't go into coil bind. There's already a pretty stout cam in those motors. Be sure the 1.6 ratio arms won't cause a self-destruction scenario. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah to what Harry said. Check for coil bind !
    Thanks Harry you saved me a bunch of typing /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif