Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Shackle At Front Of Rear Spring??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if installing a shackle at the front of the rear spring would be desirable?

If I did this, wouldn't it change the angle of the pinion a couple of degrees downward, and also allow for more articulation?

I am already running ORD's shackle flip in the rear, so if I installed another shackle at the front of the spring, the spring would have more mobility which I suppose could be good or bad. I suppose towing would be pretty dangerous because it could load up pretty easily ....

I dunno, just thought of the idea, and since I thought of it, I'm sure someone else has too.

Your ideas on this?

Thomas.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that would allow the axle to move back and fourth, the pinion would prolly be flying al over the place breaking u joints and braking would be as cool as roller coaster. i dont think it would be a good idea

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You are almost there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    If you put a shackle in the front and the rear, then you will have nothing to locate the axle front to rear, som Jeepers have done that before and they used ladder bars.
    The springs will then be just like a coil spring.

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I was thinking if you attached a bar to the axle tube, and the other end to a bushing on the inside of the front spring mount, that it would keep the axle centered and still allow for up/down travel.

Do the Jeepers get a lot of benefit out of this kind of a setup?

I wonder if anyone has tried it on a full size?

Thomas.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the problem with just a bar is that the axle will still be able to rotate, so you should have either a 3link or a 4 link or even better a 5 link.
    I am going with a 3 link on mine with coils.
    It should work with a full size, why not, just have to make it right.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif