Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

I will be installing a shackle flip from kert this weekend with a zero rate. My question is will I need a angle shim in the rear or will it be fine. It will be going on an 88 burb which currently has a 2" lift.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

different tranny/tcase's will have different driveline lengths.. it really all depends upon alot of factors.. in general, burb's have a longer driveline, and are less likely to need to be shimmed. Shackle flips point the pinion up for you.

In my case, I used an echobit shackle flip, and it would have been perfect for a shorter wheelbase rig, but it actually overcompensated, pointing the pinion up too high. I'm actually going to have get some shims and run them backwards from how most people run them with lift springs.

Bottom line= Do what I'm going to do this week and get one of these bad boys http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=198122-1099-AF006M

you'll want your angles to be the same at either end of the shaft.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On my '91 I had to use a 6* down angles zero to put the pinion and t/case at equal angles (you DON'T want them pointing at each other unless you run a cv rear shaft.). Then I went to a CV rear shaft and needed them 4* up to point the pinion directly at the t/case.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My burb is fine with the QRD flip and a zero rate in the rear. No shims needed and the zero rate is flat.

5. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks guys I will install it this weekend and see how it goes.