Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing some gears..(help?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Aug 20, 2004.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok guys /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, i have had my 12 bolt with 4.10's (welded) chillin in my garage for waaaaay to long, and all i need is some new 4.10 gears for the front.. i have no idea how to install them, wondering if anybody in the tucson/phx area would maybe be willing to help a fellow wheeler out? beer n pizza provided?!
    any help or info would be awesome, thanx

2. gatorbait

gatorbait Registered Member

I assume you are talking a 10 bolt front. I just did my 10 bolt/12 bolt and Jeep Dana 44's for a friend. I am too far away to help in person but could help talk you through it. Reider racing, Randy's R & P (and others) have some pretty good instructions on their websites. Buy the master install kit (has all the shims etc needed as well as new bearings). A dial indicator and a torque wrench are required as well as standard tools. A bearing seperator would be nice too or you can take it to a shop for that. If you have not done this kind of thing before you may not want to attempt it. Proper setup is crucial to the job.

I know this is not the kind of help you are looking for buut... it's all I can give.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I assume you are talking a 10 bolt front. I just did my 10 bolt/12 bolt and Jeep Dana 44's for a friend. I am too far away to help in person but could help talk you through it. Reider racing, Randy's R & P (and others) have some pretty good instructions on their websites. Buy the master install kit (has all the shims etc needed as well as new bearings). A dial indicator and a torque wrench are required as well as standard tools. A bearing seperator would be nice too or you can take it to a shop for that. If you have not done this kind of thing before you may not want to attempt it. Proper setup is crucial to the job.

I know this is not the kind of help you are looking for buut... it's all I can give.

[/ QUOTE ]

well thanks, u helped out some. now i now what i need to get. so i found the gears at 4WP for $140.. that a good deal? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but i'll see what i can do..
    and yes its for a 10 bolt

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dont use 4 wheel parts gearsets, they are CRAP. Get a Spicer gearset. If you take all the shims off the old 44, and put them in the same spot on the new set, it should set up the first time, Danas are nice like that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont use 4 wheel parts gearsets, they are CRAP. Get a Spicer gearset. If you take all the shims off the old 44, and put them in the same spot on the new set, it should set up the first time, Danas are nice like that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why is 4wp bad?

cant do what ur talking about, its a corp. 10 bolt..
    unless i still can? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

There gearsets arent the best quality, and they dont set up too great. It makes a huge differrence if you set it up with a quality gearset. We use OEM or U.S. Gear gearsets.

10 bolt, yeah. Youd still do it the same as you would a Dana, just might not set up the first time. Remember where the shims came from and put them back in the same spot. Its not that big of a deal if they get mixed up, just saves time to remember where they went! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i will definitly check out those other companies.. how much should i be looking to spend all together? gears, installtion kit, the works??

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

I honestly dont know what gears and such go for. I know the price of them at cost and, our markup, but not sure what others around get them for. Everyone will tell you to cally Randys ring and pinion, we deal with West Coast Differrentials.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Regardless of the make, the old setup is the best place to start when setting up new gears. The respected brands of gears don't cost much more than the bargain brands and it's a critical part, so get something good.

A lot of guys take pictures of their gear patterns and post them here for others to read and make suggestions. As long as you have some time and a digital camera, this could be a big help to you.

I suggest you read through these instructions to better acquaint yourself with the job.

The front is a good job for your first set-up because it's not quite as critical as the rear.