Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing tach

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, May 17, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

where in the heck is the white wire that i need to jump into off the ignition coil?
    i mean, where is it exactly? i found one off the back of the distributor, but i can't get anything down there to clip into it.
    is there an easy way i'm missing?

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I got this advice from txbluethunder, I haven't actually done it myself yet so let me know if it works. This is on a HEI distributor.

on the snout of your dist cap there should be one place where there is no connectors plugged into, if you stick you finger up in there you'll feel a metal tab, just plug into that tab.

3. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

on the hei, that is exactly where the tach wire goes. on the TBI, as you are looking down on the motor (standing in front of the blazer looking to the back) the coil should have 2 plugs that go together into the coil. the one on the left goes directly into the distributer and the one on the right is the power in. do not use the red wire on the right plug, use the other one by itself. in other words, use that wire to hook up the tach wire directly, do not splice into it to run the tach. that is what i did on my truck and it worked fine. good luck