Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing the starter in my 85 s-10 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wisbelle, Feb 12, 2005.

1. wisbelle

wisbelle Newbie

How do you get the starter out of my s-10 blazer...I disconnected it and it seems there is everything in the way to get it out....i tried turning it every way and just seems to be stuck under there. do I have to lift the motor or remove something else to get it out...Please help :frown1:

Thank you Donya

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if it is 4x4 you have to undo the front part of the front drive shaft then remove the torque converter cover. It should come right out after that.

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

I did a 90s s10 and it was a pain. It is a 2.0? motor 2wd. There is a bar that connects to the motor and transmission that needed to be removed. And the exhaust pipe had to be removed.

4. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I had both engines, 2.8 and 4.3 -- Both were a pain to remove the starter. There is a way to turn it and pull it out without removing any stuff (as i remember) but it will take some talent.

I would check the book on that and see what they say, just incase.

Anyhow, good luck.

5. wisbelle

wisbelle Newbie

Starter

Thanks for all your input..I did it! :laugh: I had to remove the motor mount and then remove the bracket...and wow it slid right out. took about 1 1/2 hrs to do it all but that is only cause we were looking for a better way to do it. Plus we had to go and get a floor jack to lift the engine up enought to pass the frame.

Thanks again
    Donya

6. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you got it out.

believe it or not, but there is more room to work with the 4.3 engine in those trucks than the much smaller 2.8

Probably doesn't make you feel good, but :confused:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've done my share of "mess 10"s

I have done or helped do quite a few starters on 4x4 S-10's with the 4.3 v6--they are a suck pill-(2.8 even worse!)-you have to take off the 2 rods from the bellhousing (they thread into a blind hole in the inspection cover,and often seize into the aluminum--more than 1 broke off in the hole on me!:mad: --then as you now know,the inspection cover,motor mount and bracket has to come out on 90% of them,and we used a long 2x4 to pry up on the motor to lift it enough to get the starter out,and we had to try every conceivable way to "thread" it out of there!--its not so bad if you have a lift,but one of theese jobs on your back in the driveway is NOT much fun at all--

Now I know why my friend changes so many at his shop--he's about the only guy willing to do one!--all the other shops charge twice as much,or put the customers off so long they get tired of waiting!--it weird in a small town,the garages here can "pick and choose" which vehicles they feel like fixing,and turn away many jobs--they arent THAT bad to change in my opinion,but they arent that easy for a do it yourselfer to do in his driveway--nowhere near as easy as a full size GM truck--you can do a starter in about 10-20 minites on them!:grin: