Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing umbrella valve seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I am putting in some umbrella valve seals tonite and was looking for some information.

By looking at them, I thought it would be pretty straight forward, but I just read an article on them that says they ride up and down with the stem. Do the seals need to go on a certain place on the stem when I install them? I don't want to put them too high and have them not seal or too low and have them get annihilated when they get slammed against the head. Is it sufficient to put the seal on the stem, up against the head with the valve closed?

BTW, I do have the heads off if that makes a difference. I was going to do the seals while I have the heads off.

Thanks!!

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

OK, after getting the springs off, let me rephrase my question. There is one ridge where the o-ring normally sits. That also seems to be where the umbrella seal wants to sit as well. Can I run both? And if so, which do I run "on top" (closer to the rocker arm)?

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

They will pretty much orient themselves at startup. No seal really stops every drop of oil from getting to the guide, which is a good thing. They just keep it to a minimum to prevent buildup in the cylinder. I just put mine on slightly below the top of the compressed spring and forget about them. They wont be crushed on the head because the valve doesnt go that far down. With the cams and rocker ratios run in these slugs they dont even get close to maxing the spring

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

do you already have the seals? if not I would recomend bypassing the umbrella Isle and getting some perfect circle's. they alow a lot less oil to pass through the valve stem at startup, and eliminate the blue haze from the exhaust, most commonly associated with umbrella seals.

-Scott

-S

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah they pretty well seat themselves. I have had pretty good luck with them. They work like the name implies. As the oil is thrown around they prevent a massive amount from getting on the valve stem like an umbrella. On a newly worked head with new valves and goides the tollerence is tight enough that there is minimal oil getting down to the valve head. That's why it only has that little O-Ring at the top. As the guides wear more oil is able to get down the stem.

I think the other ones that were mentioned are the style you tap onto the top of the valve guide and do not move with the valve. They will have a spring arangement simular to a wheel or crank seal. Those are really good. Most newer vehicles use them. I wasn't aware they were available for a older GM. They would be worth checking into. My 75 needs the same thing done and I'll be looking for those for sure.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wasn't aware they were available for a older GM. They would be worth checking into. My 75 needs the same thing done and I'll be looking for those for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are out there. You have to machine the head to put them on. You can buy a bit that uses the valve guide as a guide to machine the outside of the valve guide so that the seal will fit. It isn't too much $$$ but you have to have the head off and the valves out to put them on.

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot guys. Unfortunately I do already have the umbrella seals and have to get this thing back together by Thurs nite. I will look into the perfect circles when I build up another engine.

Thanks again!!