Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing windshield visor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

K im wondering if anyone has installed one of these on their truck and how they did it like what kinda screws, what size? would i need and what type of silicon should i use? my roof is mint and im trying to keep it that way :crazy: thanks :confused:

2. George_Pimpdaddy

any ideas guys im wanting to do this soon

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I have the Lund Moonvisor I believe. The screws and other hardware came with the kit with silicone. I have used 100% silicone sealant before on other applications though and have not had any lead including my current one.

And the visor does cut down on direct sunlight comming through the windshield and blinding you. The only drawback I have found is that my truck sits high enough that when I pull up to the white line at some lights I have to duck a couple inches to see the light. Not a big deal though.

4. George_Pimpdaddy

But what should i get for bolts though?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

special screws?..

My 82 K20 has a Lund visosr on it--was there when I bought it..It has screws that have special heads on them,they appear to be like the ones used with "snaps" on a tonneau cover,so the plastic "buttons" they supply snap onto them,so the screws are hidden...might have to get them from Lund,along with the plastic buttons ??..:crazy:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I used to have a Lund visor... they come with all the hardware you need. If for some reason yours didn't (bought used etc), its no biggie, just get some stainless steel metal screws that will fit through the holes. Drill a hole the same size at the screws minimum diameter through the sheetmetal (using the visor as a template) and away you go.

As far as sealant, I think it would be much more effective to just go to your local hardware store and get some small o-rings (just big enough to fit over the threads of the screws you just bought...) and use them instead. Silicone will eventually squeeze its way out of where you want it...

j

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lund visor install kit only with bolt and caps is 41103 :D cost about 10 bucks.

summit racing is lnd-41103 # and 7.99

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn.... gj k30! :thumb: I'd still recommend some o-rings though... When I took my Lund visor off to sell it, there wasn't a trace of silicone anywhere.

j

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont use RTV!!

I think the previous owner put the visor on my 82 K20 to hide the rot in the roof near the windshield frame--the roof also ust have been dented by something (tree branch?) because it has an inch or more of bondo just behind where the visor ends!.(looks like a volcano ready to erupt,all split open!)...roof is also rusted above where the door weatherstrip goes ,you can put your fingers in between the two layers of the roof panels!..yet the floors are like brand new!--first GM truck I owned with a rusted roof,and not rusty floors or rockers!..:screwy:

O rings sound like a better idea than silicone!--I'd avoid using any sealant unless its Butyl rubber based!..(like "Gutter Seal" from Lowes, works great on body seams and leaks)..I had a friend who added cab marker lights to his truck,he used black RTV silicone,to seal the gaskets to the roof....in a year,the roof rusted right where the silicone was,and the lights started lifting off at high speeds,with the peice of roof still screwed to them!..its like battery acid..:eek1: ...:crazy:

11. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Yea RTV will cause rust. If you use silicone it has to be the 100% indoor/outdoor houshold sealant type