Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Installing Xenon Lights!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LEEREED123, Dec 29, 2006.

1. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

I Just Got A Xenon Lighting Kit For Free From A Friend Who Took It Out Of His Truck Before He Sold It. My Question Is....

I Have A 91 With The Quad Headlights. Is There A Headlight Capsule Available To Replace The Sealed Beam Headlight Bulbs That I Can Install These Bulbs Into?

2. LEEREED123

anyone?
    PLEASE help! this woulf be too cool for night driving!

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

What type of bulb, H4, 9007, etc, is the Xenon? They probably are available.

4. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

There is a company out there, eurolamps.com is their site. Found them a while back when my buddy wanted to upgrade the lights on his '94 camaro (same sealed beams as our trucks). Hope that helps 'ya:D

5. LEEREED123

THANKS! JUST WHAT I NEEDED!

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

By Xenon, are you talking a true HID with driver and ballast?

If so, you're gonna be needing a set of headlight lenses that has a clear plastic face, and a sort of "cup" that the HID bulb sits in, then has all the light emitted from being reflected off the back. If the lense you buy has the aiming component on the lense of the light like traditional sealed beams, the light pattern will be scattered all over the place, and produce a whole lot of glare for other drivers. You are technically suppost to buy a HID specific projector to get a perfect light pattern, but it has been my experience that the aftermarket projectors have at least a resemblence to aimed light.

Finally, when selecting a headlight, choose one with an ECE (european) light pattern. On low beam, they have a far sharper cut-off on the driver's side of your truck so your super bright HID's don't annoy the heck out of on-coming traffic. Some people complain that it makes the driver's side of the road dark, but thats cause they aim the lights too low so they can actually see the cutoff on the road, which isn't the correct way of aiming them...

Also, what is the temperature range on the drivers? Anything higher than 6000k is illegal for street use, regardless of the application. Anything hotter than 6000k is too blue, and anything hotter than 10 000k is suddenly into the purple color of the spectrum, which will get you pulled over in an instant. 4300k are great, a very white light, and 6000k is borderline, but still useable.

7. LEEREED123

well crap! russ, you just had to go and make sense and ruin my day! i forgot about the reflectors! yes, they are true HID's with ballists.

8. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

I've installed several HID kits on headlamps that are not projectors and did not have the aiming cup in front of the bulb and they work great. My girlfriends camaro is run 8000k hid and my buddy's tahoe has the 10,000k purple and neither has had any run-ins with Johnny Law.......yet:rolleyes: I usually aim the lamps down more than normal to help with oncoming drivers and due to the increased light output from the HID's spectrum it's stll way better than any sealed beam or halogen bulb. Just my .02:D