Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

installing XP on an ME system

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Jun 10, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

ive got a compaq presario 1200 notebook thats runnin ME. being that ME is the worst program ever to be devised by humans, i'd like to upgrade to XP Pro. however, ive been told that i need to flash my BIOS in order for this to work. i know this is a tricky process, but is it necessary? ive heard both ways.

btw, DEATH TO MILLENIUM EDITION! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif! again....

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont know about the flashing part /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'd lookup your laptop on the manufactures website and see what is says. Worse case senarior call up compaq. Usually what happens is the video and sounds cards have driver issues. I would think XP would have any video drivers needed, you might have to do a windows update to get the newest sound drivers. I put XP on my laptop in place of ME and haven't looked back no real issues other than it need another stick of ram to run photoshop and multimedia stuff.

Go through your ME uninstall and remove all the programs and updates you can, then when you do the XP install tell it not to do the update but a full install and have it reformat the drive NTSF. I've had cases where the install was a upgrade and it didn't pickup any of the installed programs and with the new registry the programs wont run without being reinstalled... so start from scratch and delete uninstall as much as you can to clear up disk space before you do the XP install. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

further more... after you all the uninstalls run disk defrag and scan disk to clean everything up the install of XP will run faster on a clean disk /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im gonna reformat before all this, so i think it'll be nice and new...ish

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing on my HP pavilion and I just put the disc in and did it as a new installation. Formats and Such... Still have some problems, but I think that is dur to the occasional spyware infection....

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I installed XP pro on a compaq presario 12XL325 without flashing the bios. It worked fine.
    Flasing the bios is pretty straight forward -- just follow the directions and don't worry about it. Look at what the bios update does though, you may not need it.

I did have trouble with the bios ACPI functions with windows 2000 but not with XP.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just delete partition and creat new primary and then format and install the OS, thats what i always do when i even just reinstall an OS, i just repartition, but now and then we will GWScan if we are having a problem getting an OS to install completely

good luck