Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

instead of boxing, but reinforcing or bracing..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Apr 24, 2006.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i took the body off my k5 and put a pick up cab on it. but anyways, i cracked the frame right behind the can, pretty much in the middle of the frame. and since this bein my beater in all i was thinkin since i dont have the money, cutting tools or material to box the frame in. but in stead i was thinkin of just welding the crack and taking just some right angle steel and just welding it on the inside of the frame on the top and bottom. to kind of brace the crack and the bend in it. i'll post pix tomarrow.

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

If you wheel it hard enough it will crack where the welds are. I understand the "do what i can with with i have" but now is the best time to box it in.

BUT

givin the situation you are in--I'd go for just fixin it.

3. down4thakrown

ya, i was goin to try it anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has done it. i think cracked/bent it playin in the snow tryin to get the truck to do 180's on icy roads i remember one time coming to an immediate stop doin about 45 sideways. i could of almost felt the frame bend. it was pretty bad. i also got this bad habit thats so good, doin bout 40-50 then stabbin the breaks and then down shifting to get it into a powerslide to get a tight corner with dry pavement. its awesome. and i almost got it down everytime until i seen the crack and bend.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am guilty of this little bit of booty fab my spring mounts are moved and I noticed the frame was bending up didn't have time to fix it right so in the angle iron went, I didn't have a crack but it has held up fine so far. If you can't go through with the whole thing of boxing in the frame I say go for it

5. down4thakrown

thats what i wanted to hear :thumb: