Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Instrument panel lightbulb access

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

PLEASE tell me there is an easier way to get to and change the bulbs on my instrument panel than blindly reaching up behind the dash while lying in a twisted mess on the floor of my truck, fighting with a zillion other friggin' wires in my way!!!!!!!!

2. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey,
    I guess the only other way would be to pull the front dash off. It might not be as easy, but it would be alot better on your back.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 carryall

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Remove the screws in the dash bezel, then remove the screws for the dash cover. It is really easy to remove, I can have mine off in 5 minutes. Otherwise just keep on taking the bezel off and the plastic cover behind it, then remove the black piece which by the way will be attached to the speedo cable, once that is unhooked, you will see all the lights. Suggestion...if you are going to replace the dash lights look around for the halogen replacements, they cost a bit more but well worth it, and they have colors....blue...red....green.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Pulling the bezel off is the easiest way. Just be carefull if you have to pull out the speedo the cable is a PAIN to get back in you have to go in from behind and there is NO slack.

5. Can Can

Hey, old friend!!!!!!!!! Where have you been lately? Anyhow, thanks for another option. I actually popped off the bezel and then chickened out after looking at all the screws and the gear indicator, but maybe I'll look closer. Hey, if you can handle it, then it should be a breeze for me!!!! LOL

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You have to take the bezel off and all the stuff behind it. be careful around the circuit sheet thing on the back of the bezel. If you mess them up, your screwed. I messed mine up a little, but got some steel wool out and polished of whatever I messed up.

90K5

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Don't worry my friend...it is easy to remove...just take your time. I have been here just watching and reading...it is better then to confront some of the egotistical and opionated folks on this site. If you run into problems let me know...help is not far away...take care

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

About the 'no slack in the speedo cable' thing, why not unhook the speedo cable on the tcase end, then you will have plenty of slack. On my 205, it's prominent.
    -- Mike

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Once you get the bezel, plastic and black diffuser off just pop out the bulbs. There is no need to remove the whole housing, speedo cable etc. Sometime just a good dusting helps too.

Hey Eagle, good to see you're still around! We need your opinions and I welcome them.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Thank you Micheal...it is folks like yourself and Canmore that keep me here looking around ready to help if the need be....take care...

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Also would suggest you replace ALL the bulbs with the newer Sylvania high output bulb while you are in there.........they seemed to be a bit brighter than the standard ones (tried both).

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have a part number for the high output bulbs? Had my dash apart and put new bulbs in while I had it out, just seems awful dim.

Smitty

13. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Frank,

Never even thought about a higher output bulb being available. Replaced mine last year ... and yes it is still dark even when cranked up all the way.

I took off my dash pad as I had to replace blown speakers anyway.

Thanks for the info on the gauge cluster ... never could find it though. If you see another, keep me in mind.

14. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Smitty,

I just saw the Halogen bulbs at Autozone....don't know the part # but if they are 12v and Halogen with the correct base they will work. The little package actually said Halogen on it.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Can Can

Maybe someone can clarify something........I was told to avoid higher output bulbs because they run hotter and can actually melt any plastic nearby. I've heard this a few times but am curious to see if anyone has used the brighter bulbs without any problems.

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I don't think mine were halogen but were the higher output. Have had them in for about 6 months (4 of which my truck sat awaiting the MOTOR) so can't really comment on the longevity. I don't think these will be a problem, maybe the halogen? Either way, if I had known about the halogen or seen them, I would have put them in.........and hoped they didn't melt down [​IMG].

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

17. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I replaced all the dash bulbs with the halogen one, I actually have to run with the knob turned down due to the extra briteness. I think it was well worth the money to replace. Heat...well I do not run with them on full so I cannot tell you if they run hotter or if you stand a chance of melting anything. I would think they would not sell you something clearly marked for dash replacement if there was a possibility of them getting sued for burning your truck up. Besides I would not want to make an ash of myself...