Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Instrument panel question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackwidowk5, Dec 14, 2000.

1. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

A couple of the lights in my dash are burned out, and i was wondering where the lights are located, and would buying a new instroment cluster work instead of replacing the lights? '79 Blazer.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Why buy a new cluster? They are very expensive! If you change the cluster you'd have access to the light bulbs anyway.

All you have to do is remove the screws that hold the cover, then the plastic lens come out, then you can access the little light bulbs. It's a bit tricky to remove everything because it gets stuck easily. A little patience is all it takes.

Someone with small hands could also reach a few of them from behind. You just twist a small cap which comes out with the bulb.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that you can reach all of the bulbs from behind the dash. You might have to drop the a-c plenum out of your way to reach them but there's no need to disassemble the cluster (and certainly no need to replace it!) [​IMG] The bulbs come out with just a quarter-turn.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Cluster comes out easy enough, hardest thing is releasing the speedo cable. Don't use those aftermarket Chinese bulbs, they are crap. I always leave the wreaking yard with a pocket full of old GM bulbs that I pull from outfits while there, they seem to last the best. I always ware latex gloves while messing with insterment clusters, you don't want to leave your fingerprints there! They will be there for the next couple of owners.

5. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the help. The reason i was think of replacing the whole panel was because i found one for 20 bucks, i thought that might be worth it just for the working clock.

Jon

6. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

For the clock it would be worth it... not just for the bulbs. Before you put it in, I'd change the bulbs with new ones anyway.

If you don't want that other cluster, I'll take it off your hands. I always wanted a clock in my truck but it didn't come with one. It doesn't even look like I could add one without major fabrication.