Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Instrument panel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What all would involved in put a instrument panel from a 1978 C20 with a factory tach into my 1984 K5 without a factory tach? The wiring is what has me worried. Thanks!

Kris

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

I have a tach dash, but havent made the swap yet. a few things to look at are whether you have dummy lights or gages currently, and what setup does the 78 you want to swap in have? also is the oil pressure mechanical or electrical.

you may have to swap oil and temp sending units out to match the older dash, i am not sure, maybe someone else has that info. the tach itself has a seperate harness that runs to the distributor.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you running cruise control?

If so, you'd have to keep your speedometer from the '84.

If the oil pressure is mechanical, you'll need to run the line, or again keep the '84 gauge.

Your '84 has a voltmeter. What does the '78 have? If it's an ammeter, more changes.

You could just rop the tach into the '84 cluster, and use the tach dash fuel gauge, and rewire a little bit on the printed circuit board. Of course, then the numerals wouldn't match up due to the year difference.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you running cruise control?

If so, you'd have to keep your speedometer from the '84.

If the oil pressure is mechanical, you'll need to run the line, or again keep the '84 gauge.

Your '84 has a voltmeter. What does the '78 have? If it's an ammeter, more changes.

You could just drop the tach into the '84 cluster, and use the tach dash fuel gauge, and rewire a little bit on the printed circuit board. Of course, then the numerals wouldn't match up due to the year difference.