Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

instrument panel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Mar 16, 2000.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

After months of tearing my dashboard apart and re-installing everything, I finally got everything working in my panel, but have broken my instrument bucket[​IMG]
    Did speedometers in different rigs have different gearing? my original speedometer used to be off by 5-10 mph when I would drive by the photo radar units but my new one is out of a K30 and when I drove by a photo radar unit today my speedo was right on the money[​IMG]! I was so happy[​IMG]

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

congrats!i wish i could remember what a speedo is.mine hasn't worked at all for about 9 months.

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my wife made an observation once, about those radar units.
    just how accurate are the trailers that sit by the road all day? her theory was that the gendarmes could set the thingiemajig to read higher, convincing drivers to be extra cautious. a nefarious scheme, no doubt. would depend on the mood of the pd in charge, i guess.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

About the radar trailers........
    No, the PD cannot change how accurate the radar units are. There is a set algorithm(formula) used to detemine the speed of the object(your vehicle) by using the dopplar shift of the particular radar frequency. These are not adjustable without some very high dollar equipment and some considerable knowledge of radio frequency and electrical engineering.
    As far as accuracy...the units we use are good for under 1mph. Also, if the computer inside will always round down. If it shows your going 40mph, you could be going anywhere from 40.0mph ot 40.9mph.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status