Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insulating the inside of top?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell Keys, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever tried to put some sort of insulation on the ceiling of the fiberglass top? I noticed today that it was rather warm to the touch on the inside after sitting and stayed that way after the a/c ran for a while. I know the fact the top is maroon doesn't help with the heat. I'm thinking about painting the top of with some reflective stuff my dad used on his travel trailer since it can't be seen anyway. Just curious if any one has tried any of this or something else. Thanks-Russell

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try a search it's been talked about before a couple of times.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If you put in a headliner or insulation, condensation forms under it and it'll just be wet and useless. I've considered Line-x ing it, and still don't know if that'd work. I think so, but still have some research to do before I decide.

4. Russell Keys

I've thought about trying to get a headliner from a burbo and trimming it to fit and jerry rig it in. I don't see why there would be any condensation though, the front headliner or burbo headliners don't have this prob that I've seen. What is line-x? Does it insulate? Or just coat? Thank-Russell

5. Russell Keys

For some reason the search feature doesn't work too good with me. Maybe slow computer or impatient operator.Thanks-Russell

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Line-X is a bedliner. I would paint the top white or a light gray (whatever looks better) to alleviate the heat problem.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dunno why. I wanted to insulate the top of mine for the same reason as you, and I talked to a guy that restores blazers, because he has a technique that he uses on door panels where he heat forms carpet stuff to the door panel, thereby refurbishing them.. I wanted to have him do that to my top inside (for heat and sound) and he said condensation forms between the top and whatever you use, somehow that it's fiberglass matters or because of the seams...don't remember anymore.

So, I thot that line-xing the inside might work, as there's nothing to rot or deteriorate.

8. Russell Keys

Oh well I think I'll just cover the whole thing in tin foil instead.Thanks.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I want to do the insullate and thermal protect the inside of my shell too.
    Here is My Ideas on the matter.
    Dyna Mat makes a heat reflective deadener that I plan on installing on the inside of the shell, sides and top. Then I am going to get some headliner matterial that matches my headliner and make a cardboard frame to cover that would go all the way around on the inside of the shell, covering that with the headliner material, by use the light (and adding another light on the right side of the shell) to help hold it all in the right spot and a couple of screws in the front it should make it hold right where you put it