Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insulating the Top on an 87 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5s, Jun 17, 2002.

1. new2k5s

new2k5s Registered Member

I have a tar baby 87 Blazer that I use to pull my toys into the mountains. The only problem is that the back seat passengers in the summer get very hot / cold in the winter <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> . I have a new A/C system that works well but since there is no insulation it can't keep up with the heat. Has anyone tried to insulate the top and if so how did it turn out. I talked to an auto upholstry shop and they didn't want to put the effort into it. They said it would cost too much to be worth it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I agree with the shop. As for the rear passengers..............If they want to be cool in the summer...take off the top. There is nothing cooler than a ride in a topless Blazer. Back me up here guys.
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I would like to submit exhibit "A" to prove the "Coolness Factor".
    &lt;---------------------------------LOOK HERE (pic on the left) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats one cool red X..... [​IMG] J/K /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What color is your top? If its black or grey you might try painting it white.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've also got three enormous single pane windows there that you'll never do anything about. Friends dad put some styrofoam on the top inside of the top, but I don't think it did squat. He was trying to keep condensation down. The problem IMO isn't the layout of the truck, its that the heater really doesn't push hot air back that far. (or AC for that matter)

A lot of newer vehicles duct hot or cold air from under the front seats or console to the rear to solve the problem.

8. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Are the top's windows tinted yet? And the back window? Are they as dark as the law allows? This usually helps to lower interior temperature considerably.

As for the winter... What about one of those little 12V heaters? I seem to recall one that plugs right into the cigarette lighter.