Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

insulation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennevis, Dec 19, 2000.

1. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Just put in herculiner from front to rear this fall and now with the insulation out, its pretty cold. Any ideas on what to put in besides the unsulation and carpet I just pulled out? Also, for those of you with 33's what gears are you running?
    Thanks Bennevis

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I'm about to put down some armaflex and some carpet. This armaflex stuff looks sweet, it's a closed cell foam insulation, should hold the cold out fairly well. I'm putting down 1/2" thickness.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So it sounds like you don't want carpet??
    If you do then get that shinny stuff thats about 1/2 inch thick and put it under the carpet. I've seen it perrty cheap at Orchard Supply.
    I have 33" and run 3.73s, my 350 is sorta pumped and built for lowend torque. It does perrty good but I still dream about my 383Stroker i'll have some day/.........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. bennevis

What is armaflex? Can I put it over the herculiner and is it durable? Where could I get it?
    Thanks
    Bennevis

5. bennevis

Burt4x4, what is the name of the shiny stuff and can is it insulation or another kind of liner?
    Bennevis

6. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

armaflex is basically that foam that you wrap around your pipes, except this stuff comes in rolls too. I just called an insulation store and it's $0.83 per sq ft for 1/2" thickness...

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You could also buy some 3/4" rubber matting(like the stuff that people lay in the box of their work trucks) and cut it to fit your floorpan........A guy I know got some used 4x6 mats from a local hockey rink and did the entire floor of his Scout. It looked good and really deadened the road noise- I assume it would keep the heat in too!!!!!!

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

As of now I have 3.08 gears in a 10 bolt running on 33's, but I have been looking for a 12 bolt to rebuild! Anybody have one?

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'll be running 3.73 gears with my stock 350 engine. I already have the gears. Just saving to rebuild both axles (10b front, 12b rear).

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i bought a HUGE roll of that Heat Shield stuff from JCwhitney....good stuff.
    3.08s over here w/33s. used to have 4.11s in the rear, when the choice came to change the front or rear i chose to change the rear. sand dunes and highway driving dont stress the gears as much a rock crawling and trail riding.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

11. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hopefully I will be pulling out my 12B within the next two months. I just hade it rebuilt 6 months ago. All new bearings and seals throut. It also already has 3.07's in it so there would be no regearing. So if you still need one in a couple of months just keep your eyes open on the board and I will let everyone here know when the 14B is in and the 12B is out.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]