Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insulting complement

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have some friends who are from Romania. They are nice people, here legally, and hard workers (They started as night time cleaners at the office where my wife used to work. They now both have office jobs, that they got in part by impressing the bosses/owners). They are trying to assimilate- they have back yard cook outs and speak English very well. However, they have only lived here for a few years and still have a lot of habits from the "old country" (duh). One of my favorites is there version of moonshine- home made plum liquor- similar to the Slivovitz my grandfather used to drink.

Anyway my wife and I were out with them -at a Mexican restaurant, I told you they were assimilating- and the topic of gardens came up, and from there the conversation moved to cooking, then to thoughts on child safety.

Then they said it, well she said it and he backed her up; "You two understand (us), you're not like regular Americans." I know they meant it as a complement, but it pissed me off so f-ing much I wanted to start yelling. Instead I tried to explain how, if anything, we are definition of the American family- work, vote, pay taxes (but bitch about them), head to country to decompress, own a house in the 'burbs, happily married, two kids. When the first gulf war broke out I joined the Marines because I thought it was my duty, hell we even own one car from each of the big three, and I've got a 20 foot flag pole in my front yard that flies nothing but Old Glory.

I started to go on about how the two of us had family members from all the big immigration periods, my wife is part American Indian, and we both had family who fought in the Revolutionary War, but my wife stopped me. They still said, "Yes but.." Truth is I was mad by this point and don't really remember what they said.

After my little rant they were still firm in there beliefs. Like I said, I know they meant it as a complement, but it makes me wonder what they thought the US was going to be like. They obviously still have some strong preconceived notions about Americans.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's hard to notice good, and easy to notice bad

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

its cuz yer a Jar Head... lol

man, take it for how they MEANT it not for how you heard it.. intentions were good like you said. water off the back.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

they mean well...i dont think he meant you weren't like most americans in your general lifestyle. he probably meant more in the way that you treat them.

even though nearly all of our families were immigrants at one time, much of the general public isn't very accepting of newcomers. sad, but it's the way it is.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what it sounds like to me also. Take it as a complement.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if they disliked America that much, they would have gone somewhere else. I'm reminded of a Churchill quote where he said something like "capitalism is the worst system ever created... except for everything else". Criticize the US all you want... but no one else has done it better.

j

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have alot of customers from every country you can name.i'm sure thet ment that you were cool.not judging them.:laugh:

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thanks guys

You guys are probably right, I need to take it like it was meant. After talking to my wife (she said it was likely a limited vocabulary thing) and getting your input, it's time for me to let it go. Thanks for the reality check.

Yeah, we're all baby killers:wink1:

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Baby killers are good people