Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

insurance co. surprise/e-brake replace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jan 23, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

my insurance company sprang a surprise on me towards the tail end of last year i wanted to share with people. seems they are sending out periodic requests to their customers with older vehicles to get them to have their vehicles safety inspected and then have the form sent to them. the kicker is the inspectors had to be a legitimate businesses and not your friend ! had to be signed and everything. this was to my dismay because i had several issues that was going to cost $$$$$$$$ ! i have heard that more and more insurance companies are requesting this. well anyways i didnt get mine done and i havent heard anything yet. i did get my vehicle checked out to find out some stuff and i found out i have no e-brake. the former owner ripped out almost the entire system ! anyone know how hard of a job this would be to replace ? could the average back yard mechanic do it ? all the way to the levers in the rear ? are there safety issues ? the garage i went to said it was going to cost like 300 bucks ! i found cables for reasonable at autozone. any and all info is appreciated. thanks.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Just another way for the insurance companies to get us. I feel this way and that's because I work for a friggin' insurance company. What a bummer...

<font color=red>"DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, YOU WON'T GET OUT ALIVE."</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What company? I'm Betting Geico. They are jerks.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I wonder how they can say much if it passes a state inspection

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Darren, even if you have to get the e-brake working again, the parts, if you buy them new, are not that bad priced.

For your year of truck, '79, you can get all the e-brake cables, lines, etc. back working for way under $100. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

small pull it yourself wrecking yard time.
    you can buy a parts truck 2wdr out of the local trader paper for $300 if you had to

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Darren, that was the first thing I fixed on my truck it was easy, I'd just go to the wrecking yard and get everything..

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wonder how they do it in states that don't have safety inspections? Probably have to come up with their own "certified" inspectors. Fun. I know some companies do similar regarding mileage.

In Geico's defense, I haven't had any problems, (5 years or so now) and they were the absolute cheapest insurance company for what I wanted.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The company I work for used to do this in california on vehicles over 15 years old with full coverage. people would buy a car at the junkyard all beat to heck and get a clean title for it (somehow). Then they would put comp and collision on it and say the had an accident that totaled the vehicle...shortly after they would get a fat check. Nice scam huh?

10. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I would buy new cables. The junkyard ones will be stretched. If you're going to go to the trouble to install them you will be happier in the long run with new cables. The brake adjusting parts that go inside the drum you can get at Kragen or Pepboys. I went to Autozone a few times and they seem to have off-brand stuff. In-Line Tube has cables.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

11. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

that's when you tell your insurance company to suck a fart out of your ass........

if the state inspected it, that's good enough.....

greg

* keep the greasy side down *