Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insurance company wants to total a vehicle.............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbinOR, Feb 6, 2006.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

.........daughter got rearended last week in my old '89 S15 Jimmy. Turns out the damage estimate was $1800 - Farmer's (person who hit her's insurance company) wants to total it out and pay us $1300 for the rig. :mad:

Anyone have any advice on what recourse I have to get what I consider fair market value for this? I've done a search on Auto Trader, kbb and nada to get comps and many rigs like this are selling for $2K.

Insurance companies suck.................

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Just tell em to **** themselves, they tried the same chit with me when my nova got rearended. Tell them you won't close the case until they give you 2500...BTW what do the seats look like?Cause mysteriously they are starting to resmble the old crappy seats outta my Blazer...:D

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My 92 S-10 blazer got backed into. The driver's door got caved...still would open and close, window would still roll down, no glass broke......totalled the truck because the door with paint and new hinges was over $1,500. Totalled it....had 146,000 and a spanking new motor I put in. We ended up getting it back and had the body shop put on a used door (without painting it) for $600. I was going to sell it for $1,500 prior to the accident, so I reduced the overall price to $900...so he gave me $1,500 as originally agreed and I got the door fixed. Seemed to work out...but the value on these little trucks doesn't stay up that great....luck of the draw I guess.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

take the money and buy it back from them most of the timeits a few hundred bucks and fix it and still have it. or play hard ball and stick it to them. and say i have a layer friend.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

if you've dumped any money into the truck, fax over all the receipts to show how much new stuff is on it.

I'm assuming the 1800 is their first offer.. If so, then utilize fumes' method and ignore them until they come up.

they bank on you getting impatient with the whole process, so wait 'em out, and bury them with paperwork if you have any.

My wife got rear ended hard in my old 87 S10 stepside.. the insurance adjustor from the at - fault driver's company tried to get me to take 800 bucks.. I asked why, and he said " because all of the panel are different colors, that's why"..

My first response was to tell him that I think I'm being discriminated against because the truck isn't new.. ( I found out when I met him that the dude was black, lol)

I then asked him how many vehicles he's restored.. he said none, and then I told him, " they're all different colors, until you're done"..

See, I had just put on a clean front clip, I had bought 1 door, and was looking for another, and at the same time getting estimates to paint it.. This thing also had a crate 2.8 installed with only 30k on it, the tranny had been replaced, the radiator, etc. etc.

Anyway, we hollered at each other a bunch, I told him what I had done to the truck, and basically pitched a fit.. I faxed over all the receipts and I ended up getting a little over 3 grand and let them keep the truck. ( it was junk at this point)

So, document everything, and be ready to wait the bastards out.

Tom

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You do know they 50-75 cents on the dollar to everyone first, right? A lot of people just take it. When my Camaro was rear ended (totaled) they offered me 60% of KBB. I ended up w/ 80% and the car.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Similar thing happened to me and my Bronco II. Ins tried to low ball me-I said no dice, and I need a rental TRUCK to drive for my work until this is settled. They offered a rental car-I said fine, can I haul lumber and drywall in it??? 2 days later I had a check in hand for MY amount.
    Is your daughter "feeling" any whiplash pains from the accident???? That little remark can speed the process up considerably.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They signed the check with the amount I wanted(it was fair)right after I told them that I just might have to continue my physical therapy for years...

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

second that.

i got t-boned in my 67 chevelle. they tried to lowball me (considering i was 16) and only give me money for parts, labor to fix, but no paint.

i told them, that my back was starting to feel worse and worse every day, and i was considering going to see a doctor and a lawyer.

they coughed up enough cash to have a replacement door and a new gm quarter put on it. and a rental for 2 months.

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My VW rabbit got rear ended while it was parked in front of my house and I was out watering the lawn. I paid $150.00 for it, the ladies insurance gave me $1100.00 cause it was in really good shape. I put another rear end under it $50 and drove it till it died.
    Wait it out, tell them that you want it fixed or replaced or good fair market value.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My neck hurts!!

I got rear ended in my 69 GTO years ago..they offered me 500 bucks for the "loss of your 69 Pontiac"..I told them they forgot the "GTO" part,and it was listed in collector car magazines for 2500 dollars in "junk" condition..mine wasn't mint,but pretty dam close,until it was hit!..:mad:

I refused their offer and let them call me back several times..they offered 750,then 900 bucks..after a month of this,I had my roomate answer the phone,and say "he's not here,he's in the hospital getting his neck X-rayed"..after the next call I got and answered myself,I told the rep I was looking for a lawyer!..he called back the next day,offered 1500 bucks,I keep the car,and they pay all my medical expenses...

I agreed,but looking back,I should have sued..if I'd have gone to the hospital in an ambulance,I could have gotten 10 grand just for personal injury,never mind the car!..:doah: ..I'd go for the medical angle,they could likely find a better S-10 for less than 1200 fairly easy..:crazy:

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Take the information you have and present it to them, be decent with the adjuster and it will go along way. Dont go into it with the I hate insurance companies and everyone who works for them attitude.

I would rather give a person their salvage than deal with it myself. If I get a $200 salvage bid it isn't worth my time, I beg them to keep it. So try to get them to throw in the salvage for free.

Are they paying for a rental car right now? If not you can ask for compensation for your loss of use wile you look for a new car, and for the time you were without a vehicle (if you were not given a rental car from the beginning). Say 2 weeks worth of a rental car after you settle at $25 a day. Tell them you want that paid directly to you. They owe it to you. I will offer this to people with out them asking to get a claim closed.

Insurance companies don't offer 50 cents on the dollar for their first figure, that comment sounds like a TV attorney or a body shop trying to get your business, just like the comment that if you go to the hospital in an ambulance you get 10,000 dollars, it is not true. Lying about an injury is immoral and wrong. It is fraud and may come back to haunt you!

Would you be satisfied with $1500 and you keep the vehicle? Could you sell or part out the S15? Start out by asking for $1800 and you retain the salvage. I bet they bite. Then sell the truck for parts. Heck you may end up more than the $2000 you want.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would agree with you in part - some companies and some adjusters are OK and try to do the right thing. The rest give everyone else a bad rap.

Don't settle until you get a fair value for the vehicle. If your daughter is not hurt, don't threaten that. If she is, in the least, get her checked out and send them the bill.

I would not try to gouge them, but they owe you a fair value, rental/loss of use and all meds. Espicially in a rear end collision where liability is not a question.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks to all for the input.

My daughter is hurt - she got popped dang hard and started feeling whiplashed almost right away. She's been in physical therapy from the 2nd day after the accident, etc. and is still sore as heck. We in no way, shape or form want to screw anyone but we also don't want to take a bath on this because of some negligent kid.

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Trust me whn I tell you I wasn't being fraudulant about my injuries, but they weren't ever going to get any better by that point and the therapists would have been happy to continue to make me appointmens for the next millenia. The adjuster tryed to strong arm me, cause I was a kid, well I knew what my car was worth and I knew what my pain and suffering was worth.Not near as much asI got for the car. Everybody was content in the end but I'd still just rather have my car back...

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh dang Frank you never said she got hurt, sorry to hear that dood, hope she gets better soon..:o

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wasn't accusing you at all. The point I was making was that if she was hurt the ins company has the full responsibility to pay the bills and tat she needed to go to a doctor. Some people will just take advil and hurt. BS to that - they owe you the meds expense b/c that's what they signed up to provide. I always find myself prefacing advice like this withe "don't do something wrong..." because of what I do for a living.

I also think that ins companies should be fair and compensate people for lost work, loss of use of the vehicle/rental and pain/suffering to a degree.

As for a strong arm adjuster, they give the good ones a bad name and should be lawyered to death. It is one of the only good uses for lawyers.;)

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

8yourh2, I agree 100% about not lying about an injury.

However, I have NEVER been offered more than 75% of my vehicle's value by anyone other than my own insurance co. Nor has anyone else I know (admitedly, a small # comared to all the insured drivers in the state). I understand I'm not paying the at fault's premiums, but do they need to try to screw me every time?

In all fairness, I'm sure there are plenty of people who fake injuries to collect $$$, but we all know the less that is paid out the higher the margin. I'm sure they are happy to get someone to keep the totaled vehicle. By the time storage & auction fees are paid I doubt the insurance co make much on the wrecks. I know they made out on the deal I mentioned above, but the agent & I both thought it was fair, so it worked for us both.

As always, YMMV.