Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insurance for my modified blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Mar 10, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

long story short:
    I had progressive insurance and full coverage. I cut the half cab off of my blazer and the winter is kinda cold so I parked it for the winter and used an s-10 to drive to work. I let my progressive policy run out. Now that it is warmer I went to go back to progressive but they want 200 bones to make up for the time that I wasn't covered.
    so...

I ditched progressive and went to farmer's group for full coverage... but they wanted to take a picture. The underwriter says that my truck is "Too modified" and they won't cover it. WTF! I need some ideas on insuring my beast. I plan on doing coilovers but I am worried about throwing more money into something that will be a total loss if stolen or rolled too many times. Who do yall' insure with and what do those extreme sand cars do for insurance? THere has to be a way.
    juan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

i have Geico... but only liability.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You might want to reconsider Progressive if you didn't burn you bridge. I insure liability only.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

do a search for clasic or custom car ins.
    some companies dont care what it is worth. so long as you keep them updated as to waht all is done to it. you tell them the limits you want set for each type of insurance and then they tell you how much.
    if your record is good then you should be able to get all kinds for under 200 a month. thats full coverage, with say 15k up front if something happens.
    grant

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Progressive is the worst insurance I have ever seen in my life. They suck. You might as well just stay home and poke yourself in the eye... it will do you just as much good as having coverage w/ them.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

do a search on the web for Grundy insurance. They insure customs for cheap. Not sure if they will do Blazers or not but may be worth a try.

Also, American Family Insurance is awsome and rates are good.
    John

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well- since you asked.

I use Concord Group ( I think there only new england)...my truck has liability, comp, collision, glass, theft, fire, etc... everything you could imagine.
    My agent didnt want a picture - she lives in my neighborhood- so she knows what it is...however I did provide them with copies of all reciepts for aftermarket stuff on my truck. The lifts, tires, wheels, stereo etc.

My K5 is on a policy of its own- with no other vehicles- is listed as a "pleasure vehicle" with an annual mileage estimate of 5K miles. In October- I remove all insurance except Comp- and add it to my house policy- since it's in my yard...usually I dont put the other coverage back on until May 1st- but this year its already back on.

for 6 months with all coverage- and 6 months with comp only- my policy runs about $900 per year. As a note- the D/A which is run through with 15 other vehicles runs us about 1100 per year- with full coverage as well.

I say- regardless of what you gotta pay- own up to the agent about what you have, it may cost you more- but if something happens- well.....your covered.

I've read on here where peoples winches have been stolen- if anything out of mine is stolen- I only gotta make 1 phone call- and I get a new one.

Brandy