Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insurance for trail only rigs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just want to do some research.
    For those with Trail only rigs, do yall cover it with something? Is there a carrier out there that will do it?
    I would hate to have to drive my rig from camp to trail and something happen and it's not covered...

I'm just thinking of the future. Right now, it's still a daily.../forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Boss

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Are you wanting Liability only or "full coverage".

3. Boss

Just liability for barely driving vehicles.
    I currently only have Liability insurance on this truck. But I'm looking for something cheaper...like those weekend only vehicles or whatever, if there is a such a thing...

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There is antique vehicle coverage for cars/trucks that are not driven that often but you usually need an appraisal for that and since your blazer is not an antique it wouldnt work. I think your only option is to keep standard old liability on it. BUT.....You can tell the insurance company that your annual mileage will be under 2000 miles and that in its self will cause the rates to go down. Not a LOT but lower...Also you can remove Medical, Underinsured, and Uninsured motorest coverage since they wouldnt apply to your situation. ALL you would want is Bodily Injury and Property Damage.
    Make your agent work for your money!!

5. Boss

Thanks for the great info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll check into it.

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have recreational insurance on mine. Basically I have to keep it under 7000 miles a year, no problem since I drive it twice a month at best, and will trailer it to most runs. It's full coverage and EVERYTHING is covered. I took pics of the whole truck, axles, beadlocks, all of it, and kept the receipts for the lockers, etc....

This is all through state farm. I know others have had problems with them, but for $40 a month, I'm not complaining /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

BIGJ

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You need to shop around. I have Progressive Ins. and when I added the 90 K5 I wanted to drop mine to rec. use only and they said it didn't matter. Basically weather I drive it 10 miles a year or 10,000 the price is the same. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I am going to just keep it the way it is for now since it only cost a little over $400 a year.

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

that makes up my mind...im moving to arkansas

Ryan

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I ahve state farm and they were trying to get me the "antique" or "show" coverage for the truck---i never really got back w/ them on it but i think the truck has to be 20 or 25 trs old and only be driven to and from shows (im sure you can get away w/ driving it on the weekends too /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)it also depends on the insurance guy---mine just happens to be a car guy so he helps me out .

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif--(i like this)

10. Boss

Thanks again folks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I think I'm going to check with statefarm and see what they can do. After I get a new ride, (whenever that may be), this truck probably won't see more than 2000 miles a year if that... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif