Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insurance settlement for car accident???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ds350, Jul 11, 2002.

1. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Question....my wife and I are working with a insurance company to work out a settlement for a car accident. She was "rear-ended" by a taxi on her way to work in her new Honda. The damage was about $3000 to the car, and she went to the hospital to be checked out. She was in pain for a couple of weeks, missed 4 days at work, and is now OK. The insurance want to settle this week. Any hints on how to deal with them? Does anyone know of rough amount of $$ we should expect?

Danny

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get a personal injury lawyer...even after they take their share you'll come out ahead. Without a lawyer the insurance company will do everything they can to get you to settle for a lot less than the claim is worth.

Rene

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene is right, plus if she hurt for that long, you don't know what the long term damage/effects might be. You could have tons of medical bills down the road from this accident. I'm not saying go for millions (like the MacDonald's lady), but make sure you get enough to cover future expenses. Plus you are not going against an individual, you are going against the taxi company which should have more than enough insurance to cover.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Here's how the insurance company will try and work it...I had an accident with my ex-wife who was pregnant with my oldest at the time (about 6 years ago or so). Some dude ran a stop sign and broadsided us, damaging the car (obviously) and sending her into labor about 6 or 7 weeks early. My son turned out to be OK, but it was a frikkin scary incident. The car had about a grand worth of damage, and the doctor bills directly relating to the accident were another 10 grand. The insurance company offered us 15,000 to settle, and we paid the expenses out of that money. We got a personal injury lawyer (as was suggested to you previously), and this sum was doubled within a week. Moral of the story-Insurance companies are bigger crooks than lawyers, get yourself a reputable lawyer.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, I have to agree with everyone so far. I was involved in an accident when I was 22. I had to have back surgery and I was out of work for like 6 mos. I lost everything I had (which wasn't much considering I was only 22 /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ). They tried to settle for the cost of medical bills ($30,000) and a little chump change for lost wages ($7000). I got an attorney and within 3 months, I settled for $85,000 plus medical. After my atty got his cut, I still came out with a few $$ in my pocket. The downside is that there isn't a day that I don't hurt. There are days when I won't even go wheelin' /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif because my lower back hurts like hell! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif No matter what, physically, she'll never be as good as before she got hit. Get a lawyer man.

6. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

get a good lawyer as everyone else has said,if you get a good one they will in up paying through the nose, Make them pay for ALL expenses I.E, any clothes that were runied,ALL Medical bills make sure you get back your co-pay if you used your heath insurance,missed time at work,the gas it took to get back and forth to the doctor,the food you ate on the way to the doctor etc......I got a good semi-good lawyer and got this and more,Remember three things
    1. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SETTLE.. When they want they tried to settle with me 2 months after the wreck and I told them where to go... because I did not know the long term effects of my injurys I settled about 4 to 5 years after the wreck

2. DO NOT take the first 2 or 3 offers they will get bigger the longer you wait (at least mine and a few buddies did)

3. MAKE SURE that the insurance copy knows that you will not be pushed around. It was the fault of someone they insured and not your wife.

I hope this helps... if you cannot tell I have a small chip on my shoulder for insurance companys....

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

As an inusrance adjuster I can tell you from my dealings with BI claims that by getting a lawer you will get more money. It may take a little bit longer due to the offer/counter offer game they have to play but you should come out ahead.
    Brent