Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Insuring a CUCV

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone gotten any grief from their insurance company about a CUCV? I should have just said it was a K30, but I came clean when they asked for the model and now they are all weirded out. They have to go through some whole underwriting process or something which will take days. :mad:

And this is USAA, the insurance company for military people!

2. Mastiff

Ah, it was going to be days, but she called back in like 5 minutes. The VIN came back as a "D30", so it's okay I guess. It's weird how my rates have to go up though, even though there are no additional drivers and I told her I'd drive this 200 miles/year. Oh well.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

All I ever do is answer their questions, and give them the vin #. I let them decide where to go from there. If I told them that is was tubed, and built for severe offroad use they would flip.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine doesn't know mine is lifted . I figure 4 inch springs don't look too tall to the casual observer , so I will just say stock replacement if I was ever asked . I have comp too , but shopping carts don't hit you above the wheelwell :thinking:

5. Mastiff

The main problem was just that they wanted make/model and year and I didn't know what to say for a CUCV. I'd never volunteer info about modifications.

I was contemplating looking at a "stated value" policy though, since my K5 is worth so much more to me than its market value. I don't know much about it though.

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have progressive auto:

both of my trucks (70 c-10 and my blazer) are insured and the blazer is fully covered. This includes over $15k in mods over purchase price. I also have zero deductible for glass (though all i have is a jeep windshield). I always get great assistance on glass claims too. After I rolled it in Moab I cut off the windshield frame and got an old CJ frame and grafted it on. The glass was all busted though and I called Progressive. They hooked me up even though the glass was for a different vehicle. I said it [the bluggy/truggy/k5/blazer/monstrosity] was used hunting and it has a fold down windshield. He thought that it was a cool idea.:grin:

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

When I called Geico last week to put insurance on my tow rig I was talking to the guy about the few miles my K5 and tow rig will be used...I aked him about insuring my K5 when I register it as a "Green Sticker" only here in Cali.. he said they would not insure it for "Off Raod" use only... he stated they had recently cancelled a Jeep'rs policy to due to him claiming damage that was obtained on the trail... idiot:screwy: So I'm not offering up any info to them other than it's not my DD :ignore:

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My insurance comapny thinks my 85 3.4 ton is an 85 s-10 according to the VIN. :D:D

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

This and some of the other responses make me wonder what would happen in the even t of an accident on the street? Once they find out that your vehicle is not stock and potentially more of a hazard to other vehicles? Likewise mine is insured as a stock K5 and I wonder if I could be sued or something like that if something ever happened :confused:

[​IMG]

"Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans." -Ted Nugent

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

When I insured mine I specifically told them the make/model etc..but when I got the paperwork it was an s-10 on paper..so it was there fault.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Mine says GMC Jimmy instead of Sierra Classic on the paper:crazy: ive bitched about it but they say its ok, and never changed it

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I went by state farms today to get a quote, I pulled oroun the corner and parked out of site.

I walked in, sat down and gave some info, then the agent asked if the "black thing" was mine...

needless to say I walked out empty,

I need to switch companys soon too,

:crazy:

most dont want to inshure "black things"

[​IMG]

13. Mastiff

You drive that black thing on the road?! :haha: :deal: :thumb:

14. supersize75k5

lol

yup, I love it too, with the 56 inch springs out back the thing rides smooth as any new truck!

once and a while I catch ahint of death wobble, but I dont have a steering stabalizer on yet..

when I drive it you can see the kids mouth the words "monster truck"

I love it:cool1:

15. supersize75k5

my current project will be a bigger laugh,

its titled as a 71 2wd 3/4 ton long bed....

[​IMG]

it has only changed a "bit"

[​IMG]
    now she is a 2wd 1/2 ton, short bed, coil sprung big block automatic....hehe:cool1:

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

LOL, 'the black thing' wouldn't make it 3 blocks where I live. You wouldn't even get to drive it home after the dozen or so tickets. You'd have to get it towed. It's for that reason I made my trail rig trail only and built a trailer for it.

My DD (86 K5) is lifted with 33s. I went to get it insured (state farm) and all they did was take a picture and get the info off the registration card. Didn't get any flack about the lift or tires.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

this is what i have learned...

Whenever I go to the insurance company or the registry of motor vehicles, this is what I do:

1.Speak only when spoken too.

2.When asked questions,be careful how you answer,and NEVER give more info than they need to know!..(they didn't need to know my 72 Chevelle wagon was converted to 4wd by putting it on a suburban chassis,for instance)

3.Dont drive the vehicle in question there--borrow another vehicle if nessasary..(my friend drove his lifted 4x4 with "switched" cab numbers on it to the RMV--the cop there took his plates and had it towed,and made sure it never was registered again--he had to scrap it,it would have cost so much to make it "legal",even though it was not stolen,he had just put a nice rust free cab on it,but used his original tags)

4.DONT go to the grouchy looking PMS witch at the RMV if at all possible(Usually,they are ALL PMS witches there,and they cant wait to shoot you down,and make you get things notarized,or cause untold other greif,like making you apply for a new title when they make you sign it in the wrong spot,or some other PITA thing--they LOVE it when you turn beet red,and want to kill them!--ever notice a cop is always there??).

5.Pray if you ever DO have an accident,you dont live to face the charges!:blush:

6.Once its on the road,drive it like your grandmother,and you wont have many problems...

good luck!----I have to go to swap plates in the near future,I have learned not to go to the RMV without at least a hundred bucks on you,it seems like a scanner "reads" your wallet when you walk in,and automatically knows how much to charge you,your lucky to have enough for a coffe when you leave--:mad:

18. supersize75k5

gotta love az, I drive this thing everywhere:D