Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Intake and cam choices????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Oct 31, 2002.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

OK, I am swapping in a 1975 2wd Surburban 454 in my 1 ton soon, very soon.
    Its got the stock intake and cam, but it only has 78,000 original miles on it and runs great!
    I am thinking of changing the intake to an aluminum one and swap the cam before it gets dropped in.

Heres the situation... I called Jeg's and Summit and they automaticly say I need the most expensive intake and agressive cam. Well I dont know, so I am asking you.

I have a newly rebuilt Quadrajet 825 and a running Holley 750 double pumper in the Surburban right now (need to pick one of the those too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I also have DynoMax coated headers and a nice dual exhaust. So, should I swap cams on a running engine? If so, which cam? Which manifold should I get?

Thanks for your opinions,

BlackDog

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Edlebrock performer intake, qjet, and a mild cam, under 220 degrees duration @ .050 lift. and somewhere around .490 or .500 lift is usually a good combination for low end power.

3. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Does the Edelbrock RPM cam fall into those stats? Sorry, as I have no idea what those mean in reality.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

The RPM is a lot higher revving, its about .550 lift and 245 degrees duration @.050 lift. A plain performer plus cam would be better for your truck.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't screw with it to be honest.

If the thing is running great, there is no reason to screw with it. Add a good dual-plane aluminum manifold (Edlebrock's Performer, Weiand's Stealth, Holley's *what ever they call it this month*) tune a good q-jet on it, make sure it has a good distributor on it to get good spark and go with it. Add your headers & free flow exhaust and you're set. and it saves you money

BBC;s make enuff power for what we do in mild form. Doing cam swap's means making sure your old springs will work, new pushrods, new lifters, etc. When it goes old and tired, rip it down, and rebuild it. No reason to tear apart a well running engine. We don't drag race. Heep guys use 4 cylinders, and 'yota's do great with a v6. any BBC will make you into a hero.

Just my .02

[/flame suit on] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

AND FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would use the Weiand's Stealth intake manifold. (I am not a fan of Edelcrap) As far as the cam go's, I'd consitter one of the Comp Cams Extream 4x4 cams. Use the Q-jet, or if ya wanta spend some money, go TPI !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since I'm from the "more is never quite enough" school of power, ( /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I would put a cam in it while it's out of the truck. Swapping a new cam into a 454 is a very easy job, especially since you plan to already have the intake off anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I picked up a Comp Cams cam and lifter set from Summit Racing for mine for $165. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Most of Edelbrocks cams are designed for more mid-range and upper end power. They're awesome in a 3,500 lb. car, but usually aren't the hot ticket in a 6,000+ lb. truck. Give the tech folks at Crane Cams and/or Comp Cams a call and answer their questions honestly. They can then recommend the correct cam for your application. They have a much greater selection of cam grinds than Edelbrock offers.

I'd look for an intake that makes most of its power in the 1,200-5,500 RPM range. An intake that makes power at any higher than that would be pretty much useless on a mostly stock big block.