Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake? and some chrome

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, Oct 3, 2001.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i am in the process of having my motor rebuilt into a long blonk form and wanna know what type of intake would be good the motor specs should be around 300hp and 420ft lbs. its a 350 flat top pistopns and basically an rv can if i remember right its a 204-216 with a 51 degree overlap on a .050 scale i was looking at the weiland stealth intake says its stong from idle to 6800, way more overhead than i need. on a side note i figure since im putting all new accessorys on the waterpump, alternator etc i wanted to know how the chrome one's hold up this truck is going to be used as intended not a trailer queen but it be nice to pop the hod and go damn that looks good any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Dave

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: intake?

I think the most poular intake around here is the Edelbrock Performer......

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thanks do you know if those are emissions legal and all that they arent that stringent here but just in case that and there isnt much to a 79 anyway any idea on cost?

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use the stealth on my motors and love them. if you want to match them to your heads by porting and polishing it takes very little to match them.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

any idea what the port and polish would cost these are stock 79 heads the machine shop ive got it at doesnt port and polish though so id have to find another one which stinks cuz these people are awesome drove 45 minutes for them when there is one around the corner from my house

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The Performer is smog legal - there's both an EGR and Non EGR application. Cost wise, you're looking anywhere from $80-$100, depending on where you buy it through.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. J.R.

J.R. Guest

that depends how well you know the guy doing it..LOL what they will do is make sure the runners are completely smooth and free of any defects(pits and burrs). also they will put an intake gasket on the intake and make sure they are perfect sized so there isnt any gasket in the way of flow. you might spend around $100 having this done. you can also do it yourself, the eastwood company has a kit with all the tools you need.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd run the Edelbrock dual plane Air Gap intake manifold. Good torque, good flow, keeps the fuel cooler via the gap from the hot oil splashing around your lifters. Not sure about EGR compatibility though.

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The manifold to go with would be the edelbrock performer od the weiand action plus. They are basicly the same design that work well from idle to about 5500 RPM. I know that the edelbrocks are 50 state legal as long as you get the right onw for your application(EGR or non-EGR.) You can get the non EGR one for $100, the EGR one for $140 and you can get a non EGR Air-gap manifold for $200 from summit racing. As far as chrome stuff goes, you can get a summit dress up kit for a SB schey with chrome valve covers, a breather, timing chain cover, and a chrome 14" air cleaner for $50. Good deal if you ask me. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a nice lookin engine.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

10. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

do you know how long the chrome stuff holds up? that summit kit was actually one of the things i was thinking about along with the water pump and stuff

11. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

where you getting those intakes for so cheap???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you already had the heads rebuilt? Instead of porting/polishing those heads, look into some that start out better than what you'd end up with after spending the time/money on those heads, like the Vortecs. You already are looking for another intake, why not consider the heads if you haven't had any work done on them. Having EVERYTHING done to old heads that needs to be done, is *almost* as expensive as buying complete, brand new Vortecs.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hope your ready to put 93 oct in that puppy every time you fill up. cause with them flat tops your gonna run about 10:1 comp. i know this cause you build sounds exactly like mine and i run a holly street performer intake (I think I'll have to check). it's a great build lotsa torque but pings like hell with anything but 93 oct in it and watch your timing advance i;ve got mine about 4 deg above TDC and it works good

14. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

the heads didnt need to be rebuilt with the exception of the valves needing to be replace total for the heads was 160$ as compared to new vortechs at 500$ which i dont have the money for right now but it was a definite consideration was also thinking about pulling them off a junker but then you dont know what you have i didnt have to much to lose on this motor paid 80$ for it. as for the compresion ration they were telling me it would be almost 10.5:1 so 93 octane and if i want it to run real good a bottle of outlaw and i wish i knew how to do timing its one thing i have missed out on doing in the past unfortunatly but ill remeber the 4 degrees from tdc couldnt resist having them assemble it 300$ and i now have enough time to replace my front floor man i gotta lotta work to do :)

15. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

sorry solo just saw your post ive seen most in jegs and summit for about that pricei had just thought the performer was more expensive

16. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

timing is no big thing you gotta get a timing light (looks like a gun with a strob light on the end)and hook it up to #1 spark plug wire now point it at your timing marker witch is above your main pully and fire that with tell you what your timing is at. now to ajust it you must loosen the bolt that holds down the dist. (pain somtimes) now hold the dist. and turn it clock wise to retard it, counter clock wise for advance. if your gettin alot of pinging you want to retard the timing. the closer you get to TDC (top dead center) witch is zero on your timing marker the less pinging you should get but you will loose some performance (off the line). ajusting this should be done alittle a time like 1 or 2 degrees at a time. ajust it,tighten the hold down bolt and then drive it at highway speeds and see if you get any pinging. if there is still some retard time timing alittle more. Pinging is bad for the engine over time it will eat a hole in the head gasket or even the piston in extreme cases. an other thing, running a fresh air set up and NKG spark plugs helped greatly with my pinging.

17. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thats awesome ive got 3 cars that needs it at least checked ill start with my dads tbird i want im to sell it and get a vette anyway how bad can you screw it up when you twist it is this while the motor is running do you just do it at idle and how do you tell how many degrees it is at?

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well with the chrome acc. look good as long as you keep them clean and waxed. I like anodize or powder coat... last longer and less work to keep looking good....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

well get some one to get vehicle up to 55mph while your in the engine compartment. just kidden. do this a idle. don't do this if the vehicle is computer controlled. and i forgot one thing, most distirbuter have a vacum advance this should be pulled off and pinch it with a pair of vicegrips. leave the end attched to the dist. or you wont get an accurate reading .this should not be to had to find cause the dist. should only have one vacum line attached to it.

20. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

saw some stuff from magnum in summit its powdercoated with multiple color choice going with orange color of my block although a female friend is telling me go purple w/ a orange block
    *shruggs