Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

intake boltholes on a TBI swap ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 7, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I have the TBI swap almost done but now I'm on the intake manifold. I completely forgot about the 4 center boltholes and how they need to be real drilled. Is the angle a real difference? I was going to take it to a machine shop but if I can do it my self with a die grinder I will try it. Well, I'll try it if the angle isn't a real difference. I called the machine shop and they want $100+ to do it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Thanks,
    Charles

2. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

3. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I had that done to a motor I sold my cousin, the guy machined the manifold to match.
    I would pay to have it done as there is no sense hacking it to have a larger problem
    later.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I did it myself. I used a special tool from Eldebrock (part # 8501, about $70) for machining bolt holes. Here's a picture of the tool on my intake.
    [​IMG]

Once you get the holes re-drilled, you need to use beveled washers so the bolt head sits flat. I ordered them fom mcmaster carr, I lost the part # so just search for "beveled washers" on they're site and get the 304 stainless square bevel washers (3/8" screw size) I tried aluminum but they crumbled at 27 ft/lbs. If you call them, they can hook you up pretty easily. The washers were only a few bucks and they come in all different materials and sizes. Here's a pic of one of the washers.
    [​IMG]
    These are Webshots pics, and Webshots sucks so if they dont show up, just paste the URL into your adress bar.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

The old style head had 90"bolt hole all across,the newer style had the same exept for the 4 in the middle witch are 72".
    I done it exept i dit the other way around(newer head whit older carb. manifold)whit a dye grinder and it worked perfectly and still is .

6. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Biggray71,

Can you try to post the pics again or just email them to me. I never heard of those washers and would like to see a picture or one.

Thanks,
    Charles

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I paid a machine shop in Phx who had a jig to do them...however the jig had to be a farce as i had to redo everytthing myself. I brought home a set of carbide burrs i have from snap-on...forgot the beeswax....had to use a bar of soap....and did them myself...still holdin up a year later. Didn't know about the beveled washers or the deal from edelbrock...will have to check into that before i get that far along in my swap.

BTW OX.....set your timing to 12 degree's advanced...Howell recommends 12 to 14. I ran from phx....to grand junction co....to las vegas..and back to phx...6 inch lift...35's...4.10's...11.3mpg....not to bad...however...we did that at 8 degree's...lil sluggish...bumped it up to 16...ran like a scalded cats....however with the altitude change she seems to be happy with 12.

Azblazer /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

AZ,

sound good, I'll try that.

thanks,
    Charles

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

We did this...
    just took a drillbit and bored the hole on a angle...worked fine.. the only problem is the car runs fine... but your ports are not gonna line up correctly... so i will assume a loss of power compared to what you should have. I am picking up a 1990 aluminum intake off of a camaro at a local camaro junkyard for $60 and it will fit exactly. I will just need to cover the egr with a plate....
    but this is a cheap way to get a correct intake cheap...
    if ya want he has more i can mail you one... take pics first so you can check it out..
    they are also relatively light since it is aluminum.....
    lemme know....( also I need a set of vortec heads if ya got a set.... hee hee... )

10. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Root,

My intake is off a 92 1500 and its an aluminum one. I'm not sure but I think it's the same as the camaro's. As for the heads. My friend makes his money on the complete engines. He has given me so much and would give me the heads if I asked, but I'm not.

root, check your PM

Charles

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did it by hand, for the hole angle - drill at an angle (slowly), resurface to the correct surface angle with a dremel tool. Lots of trial fitting, Spent about 4-6 hours per side. Looks good - runs good. Just takes time.

12. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help you guys. I took the intake to the machine shop (not the first one I called). The guy there did a great job. He did it while I waited and gave me a great price. He even went as far as to bolt it on a motor he had there.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

OX....the beeswax is to keep the carbide burr from filling up with alumn shavings....

Azblazer

14. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats cool - how much did he charge you?

15. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

AZ,

After he did the intake we sat and talked for about 3 hours about everything. It was about time to leave for me and said how much to I owe you. He said it would be $40. He showed me that he flattend the area around the holes so the bolts would sit flush. Great guy....I'll take all my stuff there now.

Charles

16. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey are you going with an older intake on newer heads or throttle body intake on older heads?Im interested in doing this and would like to point out that the center 4 bolts in the intake are only to help seal the exhaust heat crossover passage and it shouldnt be an airflow critical area....
    so if the holes arent exact it shouldnt matter right?